Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Desert WIne Guy - Wine At The Movie Theater?

     So here we are on a Saturday night in Las Vegas and my wife and I just walked into the Galaxy Green Valley luxury Theaters in Henderson Nevada. I know that you are probably saying so what, what does that have to do with a wine blog? That would normally be a good question however not in this case. To answer your question, here is what that has to do with a wine blog.  This particular theater you see just so happens to sell wine (and beer) to it's customers. The theater actually has a list of 6 red wines, 7 white wines and 3 Champagnes to be exact.  My lovely wife had the idea to see Will Ferrell's new movie and surprise me with the fact that there is wine served in the theater. Well since I do write a wine blog I figured here is an opportunity to do an article. OK, I'm game so here we go.
    When you first walk into the theater you head to the left and you will see the wine section. It is actually one large counter where you buy the popcorn & candy  but the wine is confined to that left area. I ordered a 2011 Josh Cellars Merlot which is located in Rutherford California. I actually got the first pour of the bottle so there was no worries about just how long the wine was sitting opened. The first taste of this wine was that of cherry followed by plum and blackberry. This is not a complex wine and is on the lighter side of a Merlot.  It is a very light bodied wine with no real Tannins to speak of. The bouquet was nothing to speak of either. With all this being said this is not a bad wine however it is not something I would head out after either. I would say that the wine is fine if you are planning for some chicken or lightly seasoned pork (or just sitting in a movie theater). This wine is not for someone looking for a deep Merlot though. The bottom line here is that while this is not a bad wine it is defiantly not something I would write home about or seek out. There are plenty of wines like this one out there. This is one of those wines you see again and say "oh yeah I had that wine once" as you walk by. You can also forget the heavy or seasoned meats with this wine. I don't think the two combinations would blend together very well. The overall experience by the way of the movie and a glass of wine was ....just o.k. I guess when I know can stay home and drink a glass or even for that matter a bottle of wine and watch a movie here, going to a movie and having a $20 glass of wine just doesn't cut it. One real negative I feel is that the theater charges $10 dollars for what I consider a very small pour of what ever wine you order. In order to enjoy a glass of wine you have to spend $20. That's right $20 for a glass. This is of wine that sells for $15 max for a bottle.
    While the theater was clean and comfortable I think I will be skipping the alcohol next time though. If I want a bottle of wine then I'll leave the movies and go across the street to Lee's Liquor and buy a bottle. By the way the movie was very funny. I recommend you see it.


                                                                                                         The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...