Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Desert WIne Guy - 2009 Peirano Estates Six Clones Merlot

  In 1879 Giacomo Peirano (http://peirano.com/vineyards.html) moved to San Francisco from Genoa, Italy with $50. After trying his hand at the Gold Rush, where he was unsuccessful he moved to Lodi, C.A where he went into business selling goods to the miners. Giacomo became very successful and was able to go back to Italy to be with his wife, Maria. Giacomo came up with the idea to be a Jeweler. He moved back to Lodi, this time bringing his wife as well as some Italian Zinfandel vine cuttings from his family's vineyard. Giacomo bought 300 acres of land. He planted the Zinfandel and started the first vineyard in Lodi. After enduring Prohibition, The Great Depression & World War II the Peirano vineyards still are making wine. Today the fourth generation is running the vineyard. Lance Randolph is heading the vineyard and making wine. How good is that wine? Read on and find out. 

   After some time off of wine tasting I decided to jump right back into it. I went to what I call my "non serious" wine rack and pulled out a Merlot that I have been interested in tasting for some time now. I like to buy most of my wines without knowing about them. I like the experience of opening a bottle of wine without knowing anything about the taste other than from the bottle. This time I picked the 2009 Peirano Estates, Six Clones Merlot. This tasting was done with the wine at room temperature, which is how it has been stored. The color of the wine was medium red in appearance with the body being a what I would consider medium bodied. I would say this wine was perfect for a nice dinner of Lamb, pork or sausage or a seasoned or smoked meat. I would avoid cheap or bland or salty meats since it will take away from the quality of wine. This wine demands a hearty meat maybe even a stew. If I was relaxing while sitting at the fireplace with a book, I would love to have this wine. There are no Tannins to speak of but this wine doesn't need them.I tasted mostly Blackberry mixed with black Cherry and a hint of Chocolate. There was an Oakey taste to it that also added to the great taste.

   The bottom line here is this wine is on my favorites list. The price I paid for it was $15 at Total Wine & Spirits. I have had $100 bottles of wine and they couldn't compare to this wine. The bad news here is I have tried finding this wine again but they do not carry it any longer. I have done some searching on line but haven't had any luck as of yet. If you have luck finding this wine I would pick up three bottles. One to drink and enjoy now and realize that my review was right on and the other two to put away for special company or for a few years down the road. Peirano Estates, 2009 Six Clones Merlot. What a great Merlot is all about.


                                                                                                        The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...