Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Desert WIne Guy - 2007 Kamiak White Wine


The Gordon Family
   What do you think when you see written on a wine bottle the title "White Wine? I can tell you what I think, I think forget about it. That is at least what I use to think until I tasted the 2007 Kamiak Cellar Select White Wine from Gordon Estate (http://gordonwines.com/the-wines/kamiak-wines.htm). I must admit that I didn't expect to much when I grabbed the bottle and headed upstairs to my loft. I mean a wine that describes itself simply as a "White Wine", really? Go ahead, call me a wine snob if you like. Well I am here to tell you that I had my mind changed when I actually drank this "White Wine".
  Kamiak Cellars is owned by Jeff & Bill Gordon and is located in the Snake Valley in Southeastern Washington State and is owned by Gordon Estate, formally Gordon Brothers. The Winery has been in existence since 1980 but first released a wine, a small batch Chardonnay in 1985. The winery and Vineyards are still family owned and operated with  Marc Nelson who is Jeff's son in law, managing the Vineyard. In May of last year Gordon Estate had some major upgrading to the Winery and announced the opening of their new wine bar with three separate areas. Aside form the wonderful wine that you can have either by the glass or bottle you can also enjoy that wine with some salad and / or finger foods. There is also a 1908 Chicago Grand Upright Piano that is a heirloom of Jeff's wife, Vickie's family.
   The 2007 Kamiak White Wine is a blend three wines. This blend consists of 60% Chardonnay, 35% Sauvignon Blanc, & 5% late harvest Gewurz. The wine costs me $10 and as you will see, is worth every penny.                                   
2007 Kamiak White Wine
   As I pour the wine I see an almost clear slightly golden, almost pale in color wine. The color is just dark enough though to keep you in high expectations that what you are about to taste is going to be very good. In the glass the wine seems to deepen in color to an almost yellowish, bright gold.
   The bouquet of the wine is of Honeydew mixed wonderfully with Apple and Pear. The wine does not hold back these beautiful aromas and that allows you to further appreciate and anticipate what it has in store for you in your mouth.
   On my first tasting of the wine I tasted a very fruit forward wine with Apple opening it up and then as in the Bouquet followed by Pear and that wonderful Honeydew. This is one of those wines where no particular flavor overpowers another and yet you still taste each flavor. In this wine everything works great together. There is an ever so slight finish of Grapefruit at the end which I think is very appropriate in helping to finishing this wine and I believe it also helps in keeping the sugar sensation on your pallet in check because with all the fruit forwardness of this wine I think there is always the danger of making a wine that can be overpowered by the sugar of the fruit. There is one more point I want to make here. The wine does not have that syrupy feel in your mouth like some fruit forward white wines that I have tasted exhibit. I believe that this has much to do with the amount of Chardonnay and the addition of the Grapefruit finish.
   In finishing up here I highly recommend this wine.  I think this wine is well done and to be able to grab a bottle at $10 is a steal. that you drink this wine slightly chilled and served with some Sushi rolls consisting of Tuna and of course Wassabi. Since it is a 2007 vintage I recommend that if you can find it you buy a few bottles and put some away for that end of Summer blow out I know you are going to have. O.K maybe one for the beginning of Spring party as well.


www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

                                  
                                                                                                                    The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...