Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Desert Wine Guy - 2013 Kunza Estate Grown Sauvignon Blanc

   Before reading this review, please keep in mind that it was written a while ago and the opening comments pertaining to the weather were accurate at that time. I hope you enjoy the review.
   Springtime is right around the corner folks. Yes, I know that depending upon where you live in the country your weather today might still be including snow or freezing temperatures and the last thing you are seeing is signs of Spring but here in Las Vegas the weather is going to top out at 70 degrees for.....well probably the next week or so and quickly climb upwards from there. Yes indeed everyone, spring is not only coming to Las Vegas, but it is in fact already here. With the warmer months here or at least for some of us, in the not too distant future, the opportunity to sit outside by the pool and in my case walk around in the Vineyards as well as sit outside by the pool with some chilled white wine is indeed on the way. Yeah, I suppose if you really wanted to you could grab some Wine Coolers if you want to go Old School but there are more people (me for one) opting for wines such as our review wine here.
   Today we will review one of those hot Summer Pool / Vineyard wines. Today we will be reviewing the 2013 Kunza Estate Grown Sauvignon Blanc from Vinedos Sol de Chile area which is in the heart of the Maule Valley. Kunza, by the way, Kunza is actually an extinct language once spoken in Northern Chile and Southern Peru. I bought this review wine from the Wine of The Month Club (https://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/). Today's wine comes in at 13% Alcohol, sells for $15 and was rated at 94 points by the wine club. I have serious questions as to where exactly they got 94 points from by I guess wine is subjective, especially when you are the one selling it, right? I received this wine in the mail in September of 2013 and I guess I put it in a wine rack and forgot about it. The other day I was looking for a white wine in one of the wine racks that I don't usually go to and I happened to come across this wine. I placed the wine in the fridge for about an hour and afterward, I gathered the wine, my Laptop and  my wine glass and headed to the Loft to get to work
   From the wine's appearance in the bottle, my impression was that it gave off a very promising appearance. Have you ever experienced that perception in a bottle where you just get that feeling that the wine is going to please your Palette? Well that's what I experienced with the appearance of this wine in the bottle. I had high hopes for a decent, crisp and slightly sweet or fruity wine to enjoy with the Pool and the nice weather. What I got in reality however was a white wine with rather mixed results.
   Upon opening this wine which by the way was sealed using a Cork and not a Screw Cap, I quickly noticed that the Bouquet was rather strong and fruity. This was great with me and there were no complaints here since I am a fan of the semi fruity hot weather style expression of the Sauvignon Blanc varietal anyway. Here is also one of those few and far between wines where you can detect the Bouquet from a few feet away and that definitely makes me a happy camper.
 
   Now onto the part, we are all waiting for. On the front of the Palette was the medium fruit note of Apricot which was followed up by a slightly more powerful and forward note of Grapefruit. Both notes were pleasant but the Grapefruit did stand out a bit more. This wine however is certainly packed with many different floral notes. There is a Pear note as well that is so light it is almost sort of hidden deep inside the wine, it is almost an afterthought and almost something sensed rather than actually tasted. A strangely nice Lemon note appears as well, again is slightly more dominant than the Apricot note. This wine has some surprises to it as well as there is a fairly decent amount of acidity which I didn't expect. While the wine does have fruit notes to it, the wine in general is really lacking a fruity side to it as the fruit notes that are gathered here are actually semi-dull and rather relaxed. The bottle actually has it correct, there are "greenish tones" as it puts it and there is that sense of grassiness to the wine as well which is nice. The wine presents itself as a very nice, crisp & clean wine on the Palate and actually exhibits some rather nice legs on the side of my glass. On the wines first exposure to my Palate I detected a quick, mild Peachy / Pear sweetness that unfortunately disappears rather quickly. There is a note of Gooseberry that seems to tag along for the ride as well here. I thought that I might have perhaps also tasted that very mild peach on the finish but like all the other notes it was also sort of semi watered down in flavor. The wines notes are overall consistent however and you will certainly pick them up on your Palette so there is no concern there.
The notes that dominate here are the notes of acidity with the Lemon and Grapefruit contributing significantly to the Grassiness and they dominate the wine subduing the fruitier notes to a large extent. None of the tropical notes manage to be able put up a fight against the more acidic notes mentioned here. The sweeter notes do manage however to put up enough of a challenge on the other hand to be able to stop the wine overall from being in any way repulsive or overdone on the acidic end so don't worry about that. The Lemon and Grapefruit do dominate here as expected as is normal for a Sauvignon Blanc from Chile. If you like a very minerally Sauvignon Blanc with some light fruit notes, this wine is for you. As you can see this is not a sweet, tropical fruit bomb by any means so for those of you who like a fairly clean, crisp Sauvignon Blanc than this is the wine is for you especially at the price of $10-$15. If on the other hand you are looking for a semi-sweet, fruity yet not over the top Sauvignon Blanc you might want to stay away from this version of the varietal..
   Okay so.......overall I did like this wine. As for 94 points the Wine of The Month Clubs dream didn't even come close to being fulfilled. Overall the wine is decent and priced correctly for what it is. I guess that I would buy it again but I would not go out of my way to find a bottle. On The Desert Wine Guy Rating Scale, I give it 85 points.

                                                                                                                   The Desert Wine Guy

 www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos


https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...