Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Desert WIne Guy - Follow Up Review - 2010 Charleston Peak Barrel Reserve Petite Syrah

Grape Crusher
   Today we are going to talk about a wine that comes from a tiny city just outside of Las Vegas named Pahrump. The wine for review is the 2010 Charleston Peak Barrel Reserve Petite Syrah. This is also  a follow up tasting of a wine I already reviewed in June of this year. I haven't done any second reviews on a wine before and I wanted to see if my tastes have changed at all. I can say for a fact that my tastes have not changed and my followup review of this wine maintains the same as my initial review....bad. I am adding some more information about the winery and the wine however since there are positive points to the Winery itself that I think would be of interest if you should decide to pay the winery a visit. Located about 1 hour outside of Las Vegas, Pahrump weather wise and terrain wise is identical to Las Vegas and that means Desert, crazy heat and very little rain. Pahrump also believe it or not has two Winery's. There is the Sanders family Vineyards http://sanderswinery.com/ and Pahrump Valley Wineryhttp://www.pahrumpwinery.com/. The latter is what we will concern ourselves with since that is where out reviewed wine comes from.
   The proprietors of Pahrump Valley Winery are the Husband and Wife team of Bill & Gretchen Loken who also make the wine. The Pahrump Valley Winery  produces 7 different varietals of wine. The Vineyards actually grow two Estate grown varietals which are Zinfandel and Syrah. The rest of it's grapes come from Nelson Vineyards, Veronica's Vineyards & School Lane Vineyards which are all  located a short distance from the Pahrump Valley Winery. On the California end there is Capp Family Vineyards, Tumbus Vineyards, Mariah Vineyards, Tecklenburg Ranch.& Penn Valley Vineyards.  The wine tasting is free by the way.
Wood Aging Barrels
   O.k so here we go with our review. Lets get down to business here because I'm sorry to say it but this wine still doesn't deserve to much time taken up on it. The bouquet of this wine was of Plum mixed with paint fumes. I know that is a weird description but that was my initial impression when I put it to my nose. The wine was very, very rich and sweet. It tasted almost like candy. There was a sweet Bing Cherry taste to it mixed with Blueberry Pie and Molasses like taste. There were no Tannins whatsoever and nothing to give the wine any substance although with a wine this sweet I don't think it would matter or should be expected. The sugar level according to the Vineyard is measured at 24 Brix which you would think means bolder or more intense taste, unfortunately this is not the case here. To sum this up quickly this wine had the sweetness of a Medeira. It would be better used as a dessert wine if you were to buy it. It had a strong, overpowering liquor taste. I assume that I don't need to tell you that I do not care for this wine at all. That is it, there is nothing more to say on this wine. My original review still stands
    I would like to finish the review on a positive note however since there are positive things about the Winery. I recommend that if you are in Las Vegas the Pahrump Valley Winery is worth the trip to Pahrump. Gretchen is very nice and knowledgeable in growing grapes as well as giving an excellent tour and answering all of your questions. She is also not shy about interacting with you if you engage her in conversation. She answered all my questions with a wonderful personality and made it a pleasure to talk with her. The Vineyards are kept up nicely and the aging/production room is clean and nice. If you are learning about wine and enjoy being around the Vineyards like me I recommend you check it out and spend a few hours there relaxing. There are plenty of places to have a PickNik and there are bands that play there occasionally.  There are events that take place there over the growing season and a Grape Stomp to end the season. There is a restaurant also but I did not eat there so I do not know how the food is although I have read reviews and they appear to be very favorable.  If you are after food, especially the most awesome Hamburger there is in the world get to the Golf Course which is nearby you will not be sorry. One of the interesting things to point out here is that the Winery claims to have won many awards such as 2 Double Golds, 1 Gold & 1 Silver medal for their 2010 Primitivo as well as 1 Gold, 3 Silver & 1 Bronze Medal for a 2010 Tempranillo as well as others. I do not see any awards for the 2010 Petite Syrah however.  Last little bit here. Take a break from the Hustle and Bustle of Vegas and go relax at the Winery BUT as for buying a bottle of the reviewed wine I would definitely say STAY AWAY from it.

Bill & Gretchen
                                                                                                                
 www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos



                                                                                                                 The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...