Tuesday, May 8, 2018

14 Hands Winery - 2015 Sauvignon Blanc

 
   Today I am back with a review of the 2015 14 Hands Sauvignon Blanc Sauvignon Blanc from Prosser, Washington which is part of Horse Heaven Hills. The wine comes in at 13% Alcohol and sells retail for $13. Our review wine is 89% Sauvignon Blanc, 7% Semillon and 4% Chenin Blanc. I actually picked this wine because it was the first of the varietal that I came across in a local store that had a sale of Buy one (bottle of wine) get one for a penny. I bought two of these wines and they came out to $6.50 a piece, not a bad deal if you ask me. I could have mixed and matched other wines that were included in this sale (the choice was rather large) but I chose not to. Okay, lets get into this review and see what's up with this wine.
   Bringing the wine to my nose I got a lot of Gooseberry along with Peach, Nectarine, Guava & Honeysuckle. That is a lot and this definitely has a fruity nose for sure here. I am not picking up any Green Pepper nor anything along those lines as is common in the varietal.
   Moving onto the wine on my Palette now I will tell you that this wine is a way over the top on the sweet side. With immediate dominating notes of Honey or Honeysuckle (can anyone say Chenin Blanc) and Nectarine. This wine does indeed come alive in the mouth that is for sure. A note of Pear combines with the Buttery / oily note (Secondary Fermentation anyone) here and contributes to the wine being more than over the top in sweetness in my opinion. There is a note of Gooseberry that brings a decent contrast on the Palette but still that noticeably over the top fruity / sweetness still dominating the Palette unfortunately. There is some amount of Acidity to the wine but the Buttery / oily note here keeps that aspect it in check. I don't detect any Oak that could have given possibly this wine what it might have needed to save it from the fruit forwardness monster that the wine embraced. As I said earlier in this review, while there is an acidic note to the wine, for some reason the wine is lacking any kind of crispness that it normally brings with it. There really isn't even much of a grassy note to speak of although there is perhaps a slight bit way deep in the wine that I possibly detected. So, there you have it, my description of what I picked up in this wine.There isn't really much to talk about here due to the fact that this wine didn't have much to offer in the first place. Having said this, it is time now to move to the final chapter and tie what little there is together. 
   I don't know folks, perhaps the varietals of Semillon and Chenin Blanc actually dominated this wine even though they were percentage wise fairly low. To me this wine was simply just too fruity / sugary with nothing to tone it down. In my opinion the was was way top for my liking as well as for the varietal known as Sauvignon Blanc.This wine is actually a fairly light wine and is too light (and too sweet) to be taken as a serious contribution to the great wines of the Horse Heaven Hills AVA that they are known for putting out. There would make a good "Summer Sipper" for those who are more along the lines of a Wine Cooler type beverage. To me this is a wine that is okay for the pool as well as for people who don't like wine. I mean what is the point of a wine that doesn't hold well to it's varietal standards in the realm of seriousness? Aside from that however, I have tasted or drank a lot of wines that didn't quite hold to varietal standards and yet were really nice and not "sugar bombs" as this wine is. Now remember that this is a $13 wine. To me I expect a lot more for that price in a white wine, excuse me. I have had much better Summer whites that were the same price if not a couple of dollars cheaper.  So, what is my overall rating of this wine? On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I give this wine 82 (Good Suitable for everyday consumption, often good value, Can be enjoyed for casual relaxing.) points.
                                                                                                                   The Desert Wine Guy

 www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...