Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Desert Wine Guy - 2017 Governors Bay, Sauvignon Blanc


   Oh how I love the Summer, especially while looking over the Vineyards and enjoying the pool with the family. Today I am sitting out back by the pool checking out my garden and Vineyards that are participating in "The Great Tempranillo Experiment". So here I am basically just relaxing and watching the kids in the pool when I remembered that I had just bought a bottle of the 2017 Governors Bay, Sauvignon Blanc. Well, I thought, what better time then right now to taste this wine and do a review on it? So, here we go, let's see what this wine is all about.
    Let's start off by discussing the Bouquet of this White from New Zealand. Lovely Gooseberry and Lemon citrus escape the glass with a promise of perhaps acidity on the Palette. A sense of Honey Dew Melon is exposed as well. You can almost sense the bit of Carbonation that is also apparent in the wines appearance in the glass.
   Speaking of the wines presentation in the glass it was rather simple with the color of light straw yet had almost a watery appearance. Topping it off was confirmation of the already aforementioned slight carbonation.
  Let's move on to discussing how this wine comes across on the Palette. Straight off I will (and need to) say that this wine is loaded with Gooseberry as well as lemon at all stages of the wine. Right off as well I need to tell you that this wine is also over the top with these two notes and makes for an over the top and very astringent wine throughout the tasting. Holding the wine on the Tongue brings out an initial note of ever so slight Carbonation and Melon but it does not last long as those darn notes of Gooseberry & Lemon that swarm swarm all over the Palette and rather quickly and wipe it out and make it almost appear as if it really isn't there at all. Making matters even worse are the notes of Grapefruit and Lemongrass. I ask you guys this question. Are you seeing a pattern in this wine yet. Sour notes are abundant folks. Let me break this down a little bit more for you. Tart, astringent, dry, Acidic. Are you getting the point yet? You talk about a wine that has a long lingering finish guys, this wine has those qualities for sure although I'm not really sure that is a good thing when it comes to this wine. Is there any sweetish note that one can enjoy? Well, for a few seconds there is and for those few second you might begin to think that this wine is going to present notes with at least some type of sugar or fruit forwardness to it. The problem is that the other notes attack it and subdue them while they don't completely overtake the sweeter (and what would be nice) note of Melon it seriously does throw it to the background and almost entirely but not quite, covers it up. Guys I sorry to be so crude but this wine has me burping up acidic Lemony notes in the back of my throat.
   In closing guys I must tell you that I have read other peoples opinions / reviews of this wine and almost everyone loves it. Like I said when I first started this blog, wine is subjective. If you like a white wine that displays these characteristics in the varietal known as Sauvignon Blanc than go for it as this is your wine and you undoubtedly will enjoy it. On the other hand now......if you like the varietal with a lot less of the notes listed here than look elsewhere as this is not your wine, there are much better ones out there for you (and me). Folks, let me tell you a little something. I can deal with (and have) a white that is slightly overbearing on the lemony and / or Grapefruit side but this wine goes overboard and I reject it whole heatedly. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I will deviate from my usual point rating scale and just recommend that you simply don't but the wine! 

                                                                                                                  The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf
https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...