Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Desert WIne Guy - The Story Of The Desert Wine Guy - Part 1

   Welcome to part #1 of the story of The Desert Wine Guy which includes the birth of Angel and Mirror Image Vineyards. Those of you who follow The Desert Wine Guy on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?ref=hl, my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos and my wine blog http://www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/ now that I live in the desert of Las Vegas and I grow wine grapes. What you probably don't know is that I am married to a wonderful women and have 3 beautiful children. I choose to do my wine Facebook, wine blog and YouTube channel on my off time since I work long days in the Law Enforcement field. I have lived in Las Vegas 26 years and am originally from Brooklyn, N.Y. This whole wine thing started when I originally went to Napa Valley California around 20 years ago and fell in live with the whole grapevine thing. The peace of the Vineyards and the whole wine tasting environment I found simply amazing. How can I grow grapes in the desert I wondered. Oh well I thought, at least I can dream. While originally believing like most people do that you cannot grow wine grapes or anything except cactus in the soil, heat and dryness ( lack of humidity ) of the Las Vegas desert I have since discovered that this belief is simply untrue. I started off at first by undertaking the mighty challenge of growing a small garden. I developed a small garden over the past two years which grew very well and I was at first happy at that......at first. Then I started to do some (what I figured at the time) wishful thinking. I figured hey I’m really pushing my luck here, I've won out over the desert I should leave well enough alone. Well as you can probably guess by now my vision didn't end there. While at the local plant store one year I was wandering around and discovered that they actually sold wine grapes. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot etc. That along with my visits to the Napa Valley as well as Temecula California and finally the vineyards in Pahrump Nevada which is around an hour from Las Vegas started me thinking. I wonder if these vines will grow here in Las Vegas and I wonder if I could grow these grape vines. I had concerns about the so called poor soil here in Las Vegas and of course the heat and dryness (lack of humidity). These three thing I felt would really do a number on grape vines. Then I started thinking that if I can grow Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant and those sort of things here in the direct sunlight and in the so called "poor soil" then maybe I really could pull this grape thing off. Wow, I thought. My very own vineyard, growing wine grapes right here in my own backyard. With all my research and everything when it came down to growing wine grapes I still knew nothing though. I mean the plant stores sell the vines for a reason, people must buy them and people must buy them because they actually grow them. I still couldn't believe it. Those of you who have visited Las Vegas in the Summer probably have doubts yourselves. I continued my reading and research online on wine and how the quality varied from year to year and why this would happen. I researched the ideal weather conditions for the grapes I wanted to grow. While doing the research I kept seeing that the weather that Cabernet Sauvignon likes is the heat. This combined with the fact that rain is actually not good for grapes because it can actually seep into the grape and ruin the taste of it as well as split the grape. Finally I decided I had read and learned enough ( I thought ) to at least venture to the plant store and look at the vines. I figured I could pick the guys brain and get some more information on how they grow. Well the idea of just learning on that trip didn't last too long. I left the store with around 6 Cabernet Sauvignon vines and headed home. On the drive home I was so excited. I thought I am actually going to give this wine thing in the desert a try. As I already have said I have always loved grape vineyards ever since that first trip to Napa Valley years ago so here is where it led me. Taking a few reinforcement trips to the Pahrump and Temecula California vineyards kept the love of the vineyard in my heart. Oh well I thought, I have to learn some time. And so off I went to the future home of Angel & Mirror Image Vineyards ( my backyard ) and developing legacy of The Desert Wine Guy. I proceeded to plant the Cabernet Sauvignon vines I bought without much real hope inside that I would succeed. I mean those people who did manage to grow these vines surely had special soil or knowledge way beyond what I had. Well since I had bought these vines while not in their dormant stage and probably about two years old the easy part I again figured would be planting. I mostly thought that in a few days they would start to shrivel up and eventually die. When that didn't happen I thought that they were only alive and seemed to be doing well because the real heat of the desert wasn't here yet. Wait until the temperatures start reaching into the mid ninety’s then we will see these vines die quickly. Well the heat of the Las Vegas desert came and stayed for a few weeks and still the vines were alive and growing like crazy. Then came the big surprise, the vines started flowering only I had no idea what what was going on. I guess with all my researching I didn't discover the growing stages of the actual grapes. I checked my vines every day and one day it appeared that the small flowers that were growing looked as if they were now dying. Once again I thought “I knew it was too good to be true”, I thought my grapes had died. A couple of days later I noticed that the flowers that I thought had died had now turned into little buds. All this while the heat was rising. Well anyway the buds I learned were grapes and they were getting bigger. I now went nuts calling my wife and children outside to see what was the beginning of my wine grapes. I had succeeded, I was growing wine grapes in the Las Vegas desert. I also thought ( wrongly ) that the hard part was over..... 

                                                                                                                 The Desert Wine Guy
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...