Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Desert WIne Guy - Cruz Alta - Cabernet Sauvignon

Cruz Alta


   Today's review is on a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from Cruz Alta which is located in Mendoza Argentina. I attempted some research on the name Cruz Alta but the only thing I can find is the following "Cruz Alta is a brand of wines produced in the Mendoza province of Argentina. These are value-priced wines made from traditional regional grapes such as Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay available in standard releases and reservas". This was written by someone named Amanda Schuster who it turns out is a writer / consultant for Wine & Spirits magazine. The wine boasts, on the bottle that it is of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon in nature and that that is aged for 10 months in 50% new French Oak. Does that make a superb wine? We will soon see. Today's tasting, by the way will be done with my new Waterford, Robert Mondavi crystal wine glass. These cost $50 dollars for two. By the way, wine glasses will be the topic of my next post so keep posted.

   The wine itself was bought from Total Wine & Spirits here in las Vegas and just reading the label does make it sound interesting and worth buying for around $12. To start off this is a corked bottle which I like over a screw cap (yes it matters to me). Lets, however move on to the meat of the article. The wine has a strong Oak and Blackberry bouquet which I found very appealing. The bouquet was very powerful and it did lead me to believe that the wine was going to be a powerful Cabernet. Powerful Cabernet, is that what I said? Well.....I guess smells can be deceiving. The wine opens up to Blackberry and Dark Cherry. There are very slight Tannins that do increase slightly as the wine breaths. I started off by not liking this wine but as it opened up I started to discover that it had a very....consistent aroma and taste that I rather enjoyed. The wine was very nice. It was a medium bodied Cabernet and I rather enjoyed it. The Blackberry and light Cherry notes still persisted however, it opened up (after an hour) to a very decent wine. The bouquet was powerful (ill say it again). I know I keep harping on the bouquet but buy a bottle and pour a small amount and let me know what you think. The Tannins are at the perfect level and actually compliment the wine and add to the appeal. There are just the right amount of Tanning to set the wine off. The wine can be held for at least another year without any problem and still enjoyed.
  Here is the bottom line. Buy, buy, buy. Did I say buy? I think that for around $12 you need to sample the bouquet on his wine. If you stop there you are still a winner but while you have it opened and the music in on and the wife (or husband) and kids are gone you might as well enjoy it :). I recommend that the wine Decant for at least an hour ands a half before drinking. Yes, I know that is a long time but the wine deserves it and after tasting it, you will realize that.

                                                                                                         The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...