Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Desert Wine Guy - 2017 Matua - Pinot Noir Rose.


   Today I moved wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of soil as I prepared my new pond in the Backyard. Between that and the digging in the Florida Humidity, I am ready for a nice glass (or two) of the 2017 Matua - Pinot Noir Rose. Yes readers, you did read that correctly, I, The Desert Wine Guy, am reviewing a Rose. Ahhhh.....Desert Wine Guy, what's up with you buddy, judging by your review history, you never touch a Rose? I am sure that is what you are thinking right now and honestly, so am I because it's true. I have to assure you that the purchase of this wine was indeed, accidental. Ya see, the other day, I went to the store to buy the Matua, Sauvignon Blanc and thought that I was actually picking that wine from the shelf, but I made a mistake and picked up this one instead. I had actually done a review (https://desertwineguy.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-desert-wine-guy-2019-matua.html) of the Matua, Sauvignon Blanc in the past, loved it and was going to give it a re-look but I guess that is not to be, at least not right now. When I finally was able to sit down today to do my review is when I first noticed that I actually did not buy the wine that I thought I had purchased.
Pinot Noir Grapes On The Vine
Well, it's too late now to run back to the store so a review of a Rose it is. I have to admit, I have my reservations on this wine because as I have already eluded to, I am not really a Rose drinker. If I want a wine with a bit of sweetness and tropical fruit I always go to a good New Zealand, Sauvignon Blanc (thank you Matua), a Riesling or even perhaps, if I am really desperate, a good old fashioned, Wine Cooler (oh no). While I thoroughly enjoyed the Matua Sauv Blanc, I hope in the end I can say the same for this wine. With all this in mind, here goes my review.
   The price for this wine was $14 but there was a deal of buy one, get one free so in actuality, I spent $7.00 for it. The bottle is screw cap sealed unfortunately as was the Sauvignon Blanc varietal I believe. The wine comes in at 13% alcohol and according to the Tech Sheet (https://www.matua.co.nz/-/media/Files/Matua/Tasting-Notes/Regional-Range/Matua-Marlborough-Rose-2017-Tasting-Note.ashx?la=en-US&hash=70D63EF22DA5FDD3DDA357CE812D4FA0211650DB) this wine is all Pinot Noir and the grapes for the wine all come from the Marlborough region of New Zealand.
   Let's check out the label on this wine. I have to admit that I liked the label better when its bottle held some wonderful Sauv Blanc :) The label itself though is nice and I think the blue goes nicely along with the white words. The Fonts chosen are very nice and when combined together just scream, Summertime. One really cool thing about the label is that it has a Snowflake symbol on it and when it turns blue, the wine is chilled to the perfect temperature, and yes, it works.
Matua Warehouse
   Now to the Bouquet. I am getting an ultralight Strawberry Note here but nothing really to speak of or that is truly worth talking about. I am picking up the tiniest bit of a Nectar Note which is on the end of the Nose but really nothing that has any bragging rights. Overall I have to say that as far as the wines Bouquet goes, there is really nothing that impresses me.
   Let's look at the wine now as this should be interesting. The main body of the wine has almost an orangish/reddish tint to it and the Lip (edges) of the wine is a darker Orange. These colors seem to overall have a watery type dilution to them as well. Looking at the wine now as it sits in the glass on a table, I see a peachy/orange colored liquid.
   Now, onto the Palate of the wine. The wine is dry folks, like, really dry. There is very little if any sweetness to it. That is what I feel I need to say right upfront. The first Note up is a fairly serious Nectarine Note which is followed by a Note of Peach but these two fruits seem to be missing any tropicalness or really any sweetness to them. To me, it is almost as if these fruits were picked unripe and remained that way. The wine does however have a nice crispness or acidity to it which helps to create a mouth watering Note to it so that is good. Following this up, there is a Cranberry Note and it comes in just before Mid-Palate.
Bill Spence - Co-Founder Matua Winery
This Cranberry Note is nice but does actually add to the dryness that the wine exhibits in abundance. Following all this up is a bit of a Grapefruit Note which lies just before the Finish and is decent and well placed. I am getting a good bit of pepper to this wine as well and that I really am enjoying.  Deep within the wine is a Strawberry Note that transfers over from the Nose of the wine and is presented fairly decently.
   Guys, I'm sorry but I really can't go on writing about this wine as I really do think I have said enough and told you all that there is to know about it. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I am giving this wine 83 points which means that the wine is simple, mediocre. While the wine is drinkable it certainly does exhibit some unfavorable characteristics to it. If you love an ultra (and I mean ultra) dry Rose than perhaps you have found your next pool wine or leisure wine but do be aware that guests might be put off as that dryness is a good bit over the top. The wine is missing tropicalness and any sweetness which should be coming from ripe fruit and to me, this is a killer. I can deal with dry but missing the two Notes I just listed really does the wine in for me, I definitely would not buy the wine again. As a last Note here I have one last note of caution in reference to this being a pool wine, I think $14 is a way too high to pay for this wine. Even if you can get the deal I got for $7.00 a bottle I would still say, stay away.


 
                                                                                                                                The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy


No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...