Monday, August 26, 2019

The Desert Wine Guy - 2017 Joel Gott - Sauvignon Blanc


  Today's wine review is of the 2017 Joel Gott - Sauvignon Blanc. As with most white wines today, the closure for this wine is unfortunately secured with a Screw Cap. I got the wine at Costco while doing some shopping a few weeks ago, they always seem to have something from Joel Gott to choose from among their many other wines. This wine is 100% Sauvignon Blanc and sat in 100% Stainless Steel as well. The wine comes in at an Alcohol percentage of 13.9% and the grapes for this wine are from five different Appellations in California as Joel Gott is a wine broker who buys grapes from whatever locations or Vineyards he desires
  While I usually spend some time on the label of the wines I review, today I will simply say that all of Joel's wine labels are the same which is not to say they are bad. His wine labels do strike me as both classy and sophisticated and creates a sense of there being something spectacular in the bottle.
  Let's see how the wine looked in my glass. This wine simply sparkled in the glass as it appeared almost clear but did appear to show decent hints of Gold streaks to it. To me it appeared like some wine in a reality TV show that "The Women of Whatever County" would be drinking. These are the wines you see the rich & famous drinking when they are at a Restaurant relaxing and there is a white wine on the table and you are like "oh my goodness, what are they drinking?" Folks, they could be drinking this wine.
  Next up is of course here is the Bouquet. Some medium bodied Gooseberry escapes from the glass followed by an also medium bodied and ripe Yellow Peach as well as some ripe Nectarine as well. These two notes are amazingly effective yet soft and about equal in presentation. There is also an undeniable nose of Melon that makes me begin to think that this might be a fairly tropical & fruity wine. A Red Apple presents itself here on the end of the Nose and all in all, I really like this Bouquet.
  So, moving to the Palette now I will straight out tell you that I think this wine is a good bit different from the 2016 expression that I reviewed but remains as of yet, unposted. There is a bit of a difference however as the 2016 is more of a slightly cooler weather expression of the varietal and this I do believe is a warmer weather expression of the varietal as its Nose at least, is more on the tropical side. First up on the Palette is Gooseberry. This Gooseberry is not overpowering as I think I said the 2016 was. This note is indeed a bit more controlled here in this wine yet still slightly forward on the Palate and I think this is perhaps because of the White Peach note which I will talk about now that assists it. This White Peach brings with it some and adds sweetness to the wine but it is not an overdone sweetness. Yes, this White Peach assists the wine in it's tropical weather fruitiness but it does not equate to the wine being a "sugar bomb" by any stretch of the imagination. This White Peach also thankfully
adds a medium bit of Minerality to it yet does not overdue it to the point where you can say this is an overdone wine in reference to that note. Moving forward I have to tell you about a Pear note that is on the Mid-Palette. The Pear is almost hidden so you must take the time to search it out but without it the wine would be missing a certain something for sure. Now, when you do find it, the note is more then worth the search and you will forever add the note to your list of Palate notes. So I said that we had some Melon on the nose didn't we? The Melon translates super nicely onto the Palate and really shines here as well as supports that White Peach in the tropical fruit department. So.....how about some Honeysuckle, would you like that in a tropical Sauvignon Blanc? Well, if you want it, it is in here for sure. This Honeysuckle brings with it a tropical fruit note but with just a hint of softness. Aside from this note there is an ever so slight bit of Butteryness as well yet it can't subdue that Minerality which the wine possesses and that I mentioned earlier. I feel as if I must comment a second here on the "butteryness" note This note can really make or break a Chardonnay for many people (including me) so I feel the need to say that is almost more felt then actually tasted yet it does it's job well as manages to make it's presence known and also has a super positive impact on the wine and your Palate for sure. How about Acidity there DWG? Yes, there is some nice Acidity exposed on the palate and it makes for a note which causes a break of sorts from the tropical fruit and leads the Palate for a second, in a different direction. The Acidity is I feel another much needed as I enjoyed that break and thought it was well timed as well as well presented. I also believe it added a certain sense of complexity to the wine.
  Wow, I'm done with this review and sadly the wine is almost done as well. I truly liked this wine as I really personally am partial to the hot weather expression of the grape especially while I am at the Pool or even in the Winter when I am thinking about the Pool. Now, please do not get me wrong here because I can certainly see and understand the need for both the hot weather expression and the cooler weather expression of this varietal as they are both correct yet can have some wonderful differences to them. Like me, there are people who prefer, or favor, one expression over the other. Whatever expression you like, you are correct on loving the Varietal itself. 
    So I have now completed this review and I totally liked this wine but I have a question, how come other reviewers rated it three (3) points lower then I did? I mean I don't really care too much as I understand that wine itself is very subjective but I am curious. For some reason it just seems to bug me though. I think that a lot of people forget that there are standards that a wine varietal is supposed to be judged by. Now, sometimes reviewers will base their score solely on how much they actually enjoyed a particular wine and not really on just how well the wine holds to such varietal standards as well, I don't know. Now where your preferences lie is up to you but in my opinion this wine is following along with varietal standards fairly well and I enjoyed it.
Okay, okay, I guess I got a little carried away here but at least you can rest assured that I do keep it real for you guys. If you also love a warm weather expression of the varietal then you must not miss this wine guys. Looking at the "growing season" notes from the winery I see that it indeed was a "warm spring" followed by a "late summer heat wave", this information just reinforces my feelings about the wine. Closing out this review I must tell you that for someone to choose Vineyards here and there and make a wine such as this, I am really impressed indeed and shows great talent. Without any further waiting, I will give you my rating on this wine. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I give this wine 93 solid points.



                                                                                                                   The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...