Thursday, August 29, 2019

The Desert Wine Guy - 2015 Coastline, Pinot Grigio


2015 Coastline Pinot Grigio
   The other day I decided to pop on over to one of the big alcohol warehouse type stores near my home. As luck would have it, I had just walked into the store when I noticed a Shopping Cart to my right with a sign on it which read "clearance". In this cart were numerous bottles of wine. Now I am sure you know that I just had to check it out, after all, I am The Desert Wine Guy, so I did just that. Today's review wine on one of those wines I picked out of that cart and is the 2015 Coastline Pinot Grigio. The wine normally retails for around $12 but I was perhaps fortunate enough (time will tell) to buy it for $4.99. The wine comes in at 12.0% Alcohol and is also happily Cork sealed. A little research turned up that this label is owned by Adler Fels Winery (https://adlerfels.com/) although their page for some reason makes no mention of this particular label. Surprisingly there is very limited information in general concerning this wine available on-line for some reason. Now.......prior to moving on I have an admission to make here guys and here it is. I don't believe that I have ever had this varietal before. This is particularly embarrassing because it just so happens, Pinot Grigio is the second most popular white wine in America. I know huh, like I said, embarrassing. With all this said, let's go ahead and together learn just a bit about the Pinot Grigio varietal.
Pinot Grigio Flavor Profile(s)
   The varietal of Pinot Grigio originated in France (Burgundy) where it is known as Pinot Gris and unlike other white grapes, Pinot Grigios skin color has a greyish blue hue, but can also sometimes vary from brownish pink to black and even white in appearance. There are typically three different types of geographic presentation styles for the Pinot Grigio varietal and here they are. The first one is a wine which presents large notes of dryness & minerality "Old World" style. This style of the varietal usually comes from Italy, Austria and even Romania, Slovenia and Hungary. The varietal from these areas usually lacks any real fruit notes whatsoever and they are very simple in their expression of the grape. The second is a wine which exhibits both dry & fruity notes or "New World" style. These expressions of the grape usually exhibit the oily or buttery type notes typical of Malolactic Fermentation and are similar to an oaked Chardonnay. Notes of ripe tropical fruit such as melon, Mango, Apple & Lemon can be exhibited as well. The areas of the world making this expression of the grape just to name a few are California, Argentina, New Zealand & Chile. The third expression of the grape is one which presents a wine which is typically sweet & fruity (Pinot Gris). This expression is usually limited to the country of France. Okay now it is time to get into this particular wine and see what I think of it.
Hanging Pinot Grigio Grapes In The Vineyard
    Upon opening the bottle a pretty serious tropical Bouquet came rushing out of the glass and to my nose. Tropical notes of Peach and Pear as well as Lemon & Mango came to me in a wonderfully nice wave of mostly ripe juicy fruit. Bringing the wine now out to the pool, I was very excited to taste it.
   On the Palette now I will tell you that I drank this wine at near room temperature and the wine exposed all that it had, which was indeed quite a bit. The first note that this wine threw at me was that of Lemon. The Lemon was not super tart yet did indeed make it's presence known. I must tell you that this Lemon note is the dominating Palate note and spreads it's greatness across the entire Palette. Now, before anyone dismisses this wine as being astringent, I want to beg you not to do so as this Lemon note does not have a massive "sharpness" to it and therefore is not overbearing, it also is accommodating enough to leave room for all the other notes the wine effectively presents. There was nice Pear on the Palette as well that was not to over the top in its sweetness, a nice semi-ripe Pear that almost exposed itself in equal amount in comparison to the Lemon yet not quite. I have to say that this is a good thing as you will see when you drink the wine......you will drink the wine won't you? One of the other notes that I thoroughly enjoyed was that of semi crisp minerality that was spread evenly at all stages of the Palette as well. Once again not an overdone acidity or minerality by any means but both simply presented at a nice & enjoyable level as well as at a level which compliments the other notes and allows these notes to still be able to fully express themselves. Did I talk about the "oily" sense on the Palette yet? Well I must do that but prior to me talking about it I would like to caution you not to immediately discount this wine as the note is adequately held in check.
Beautiful Pinot Grigio
There is an "oily" (Malo-Lactic conversion) type note that comes across the Tongue that you might experience in a oaked Chardonnay. Again I must tell you that this is not overpowering and you will have to pay some attention while tasting the wine as you will not want to miss it because I think you will enjoy it. There is also a Honeydew Melon that comes across the Palate rather nicely but also does not dominate over the other notes of the wine. For what should be a simple wine based solely upon it's retail price, I am impressed. I am not done here guys as there is also a freshly cut Green Apple note that adds it's two cents to the wine in the forms of semi sweet note as well as adds a semi brightness and liveliness onto the Palate. Rounding off the Palate presentation is a Honeysuckle note to the wine as well that will make you stand up and take notice of it.
Seared scallops garnished in a salsa verde sauce
 
   So....$4.99 huh? What is the real deal with this wine Desert Wine Guy? The real deal is that this is a rather nice although a bit sweet, wine. This is certainly one of the "New world" expressions of the varietal with all the tropical fruit and bit of sweetness they can most certainly poses. Hot weather definitely dominated these grapes for certain but I thoroughly enjoyed it. This wine fits right into the family of a perfect pool or picnic white without any doubts. Whether you paid $4.99 as I did or the $12 it normally retails for, you win as you will be picking up a very satisfying wine for a bargain. Guys, I am sensing a serious baked chicken going with this wine or perhaps a nice Pasta sauce with Spaghetti. On the fish side I am sensing some Trout or Shark, both cooked without Lemon but with some Garlic, Butter and Black Pepper. Perhaps however, you would prefer some Seared Scallops? I would recommend enjoying this wine slightly chilled as that will take care of the lemony note that some who shy from that sort of thing might prefer. On The Desert Wine Guy rating schedule I am giving this wine 91 points.





                                                                                                                   The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...