Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Desert Wine Guy - 2012 Milflores Rioja Tempranillo

 
 
   Today I am doing a short review of the 2012 Milflores Rioja Tempranillo. Ah yes.... a wonderful Tempranillo, my favorite varietal. A usually peppery red with leather and Cranberry notes that dominate this varietal has propelled itself to the top of my list for about two years since first tasting it. Today's wine is once again from Spain so let's see what I thought about it.
On the pour we are looking at a very light almost watery looking reddish in color wine. In the glass the wine sits the same way, unimpressive. The wine was watery around the edges and didn't appear to promise me anything but a diluted tasting red. It was actually weird to see the edges so watery but I figured I opened it so I have to at least give it a try. On the nose the wine was dominated with Cherry, Blackberry and a slightly burnt smelling oak. After seeing and smelling all this I was confused (although I thought a pretty good idea ) as to exactly what the wine was going to offer me when placed in my mouth to taste.
   In my experience I have learned that simply because a wine is light in color does not necessarily mean that the wine is bad or un flavorful. Let me issue a warning here. If you plan to open this wine and immediately drink it you are going to be VERY disappointed. This wine needs at least two hours to open up or develop. If you insist on drinking it right away you are going to be drinking a wine dominated by Cherry & Cranberry, very strong Cherry & Cranberry. Now a weird issue with this wine. This wine is constantly changing its taste, quickly. At first it is bitter and harsh. I decide to give it another chance since I was too lazy to get up and spill it out. Almost in the next sip about 5 minutes later the wine became overpowering with notes of Cherry & Cranberry than it moves to ending in a sort of watery taste. Finally after about two hours of nursing on the wine and having three quarters of the bottle left I noticed that the wine settled down and became slightly more serious, it evolved in the bottle which I guess should be no surprise since wines do "open up" most times. I have just never experienced such a dramatic opening up of a wine before. The wine developed fairly nice notes of black Cherry as well as moderate spice. There was also ever so slight Tannin's.
    Bottom line here is that the wine did not have enough depth or personality to break into the 90 point mark but I do think it was a decent wine and able to reach to the level of an 87 point wine. The wine in the end did end up being ever so slightly Cranberry dominate but I thought that was nice here, it did not degrade the wine in any way and went nicely with the peppery and Cranberry notes as it usually does. Despite the way the wine is described I did enjoy it and I would buy it again it just didn't measure up to what a true Tempranillo should be.

                                                                                                                 The Desert Wine Guy



www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf
https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...