Monday, December 5, 2016

The Desert Wine Guy - What's all this about Resveratrol?

    Today I will take a break from reviewing wines in order to do an article on a specific aspect (actually a benefit) of Red wine in particular. I will also attempt to write this article in plain English and avoid any scientific talk in order so that you (and I) can understand what is being discussed. Today I will discuss the topic of  "Resveratrol".  I want to begin by telling you what Resveratrol is and where it comes from. Resveratrol is available in peanuts and other berries but for the purpose of this article I will limit discussion to wine grapes.  Resveratrol is a compound found in large quantities in the seeds, stems and leaves of the Red grape. Resveratrol levels are highest in the skins of Red wine grapes (Vitis Vinifera) with the varietals of Malbec and Muscadine having the highest level of all the red grapes. So what is Resveratrol claimed to be able to  do? Resveratrol is an antioxidant like Vitamin C and Vitamin E and is believed to also be an anti-inflammatory as well as provide anti cancer benefits by preventing their proliferation and mutations. It is  produced by plants in order to protect them from things such as ultraviolet light, infection, drought and inflammation.  Resveratrol assists in elimination oxidation which effects our body's cells and helps repair these cells as well. The compound is a great protector of our DNA as well. Resveratrol has also been studied for around 20 years and has also been found to protect heart the heart and circulatory system. The antioxidant is absorbed and put to use rapidly by our bodies.  Now that we have the claims that the wine and supplement industry has spouted, what do the medical doctors and independent research say?
    In the November 2011 issue of Cell Metabolism (http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(11)00386-X) it was shown that taking 150 mg of  Resveratrol once a day for 30 days significantly lowered mean Systolic (top number) and arterial blood pressure. Systolic by the way is the amount of pressure in your arteries during contraction of your heart muscle. The study also showed a lowering of blood sugar and insulin concentration  just to name a few benefits. Oregon State University also did a large study (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/resveratrol) of Resveratrol that showed major benefits in taking the supplement.CBS News also did a report  (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/resveratrol-does-provide-anti-aging-benefits-study-shows/) on Resveratrol that discussed a Harvard Medical School report establishing the compound provides anti-aging benefits. From what I have researched there isn't much if any evidence that Resveratrol does not have significant benefits to it.

   It is now time to wrap this short little article up. I have learned all that I feel that I need to know about the antioxidant know as Resveratrol to in my mind , make a decision as to whether or not I feel it is a supplement I will be adding to my daily routine. As far as I am concerned the health benefits are amazing and not only will I be continuing (yes I said continuing) to take the supplement. I have decided through my research that I will up my dosage from 100 mg a day to 500 a day.  I purchase all my vitamins from Vitamin World (https://www.vitaminworld.com/) and no, I get NOTHING from the company for this plug. I really do purchase from them regularly.

I hope you have enjoyed this article but before I go I feel that I have to put the following out there. I am not a Doctor and I am not giving any medical advice to you. Before deciding to take or not take this supplement I recommend that you see your Doctor FIRST.








                                                                                                                 The Desert Wine Guy
www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...