Saturday, October 15, 2016

The Desert Wine Guy - Milos Cellar - Boulder City, Nevada



Milos Cellar
    Well folks today I have the opportunity to review Milos Cellar (http://www.milosbouldercity.com/) which is located in Boulder City, Nevada. The other day Mrs. Desert Wine Girl and I had a recent opportunity to head out to Boulder City which is about 30-45 minutes from my house and about 20 minutes from Henderson Nevada when a friend of hers had a baby. Since I'm not big on baby party's I asked to be dropped off at Milos Cellar. I figured while I was there I would do a little review of the place. I mean it is a Cellar, right? Walking up to the place the first impression I got was that it looks like an older establishment, there really isn't anything fancy one hand but on the other it does look very inviting to have a glass (a few in my case) of wine and relax in a place that does not even know that the word "pretentious" exists. There is a nice sized covered patio outside that also borders the other business sits right next to it with the only separation being the different style tables outside. The chairs outside are plastic and the tables themselves were like a fake marble type. The outside patio is also where dogs are welcome as well. When I was there I saw a couple with two Dogs enjoying the day. The walkway to the other businesses runs thru the middle and the road itself is a few feet away, by the way you are able to park your car right in front of the patio if there is room. If you are
View of Patio From Inside


Selection of Wine - View #1
Selection of Wines By My Table
Selection Of Wine #2

Bar Area

worrying about traffic noise, don't be concerned as this is a very sleepy town and the only thing moving fast are the servers. Overall I have to say that the outside area is very pleasant and the people that visit are in very happy moods.  Moving inside I saw a fairly nice display of wines for sale. These wines were displayed on weathered looking wooden shelves.  The chairs and tables inside were bar style and also weathered looking. The tables were tiled and clean. I want to state here that when I say "weathered looking" I do not mean broken down or falling apart, I simply mean that they have the appearance of  long time use. The Milos Cellar itself is not a large place yet it's not really small either. The Cellar strikes me as an establishment where mostly middle aged locals probably come everyday to relax after work or on weekends and tourists are happily welcomed to blend in  join in on the fun as well. Milo's by the way is also not just for wine as they also have a nice assortment of beer ranging from the common (Sierra Pale Ale from California at $4) to the exotic (Xingo Black Beer from Brazil at $5) however none on tap it is all bottles kept in a refrigerator which is on display. Milos also had some wonderful food as you will soon see.

Espresso Area
   I was seated about a minute before the Waitress (Barbara?) approached me and asked me if I would like a Menu. I headed straight for the wine section and saw that there was a White and Red Flight Plans (sampler at $15 each) which consisted of your choice of any three wines on the wine menu each poured with a 3 oz pour. I started with a Flight of Reds which consisted of the 2014 Red Rock Merlot Reserve ($6.50) , 2013 Klinker Brick Old Vines Zinfandel ($12) and the 2014 McManis Family Vineyards  Petite Syrah ($7.50) . All three wines were on the simple side yet very pleasant and enjoyable. The Klinker Brick stood out nicely and had notes of Pepper and Blackberry and I ended up purchasing a bottle for $21. Comparing the Red Rock and the McManis Family revealed that he Red Rock was slightly more of a simpler and less noteworthy wine (although still enjoyable) that the McManis Family. As for the White Flight I chose the 2013 Covey Run Riesling ($5.50), 2013 Jackson Estate Chardonnay ($13) and the 2015 Brancott "Flight Song" Chardonnay ($7.50). Both the Jackson Estate and the Brancott were truly awful with the Brancott was REALLY awful. Both wines had opening and finishing notes of burnt Oak and pounding heavy note ) is that they expand it. Looking at all the choices of wine they sell I think that there is no reason why the wine menu should not be expanded.  I did feel that my choices of wine were limited on the Flights. They did have an undisclosed house Red, White and Sparkling wine for $5 if you should chose that route.
Dr. Sketchys Invitation
http://www.milosbouldercity.com/wp-content/uploads/clickforwinelist.pdf
of overdone Grapefruit, STAY AWAY! I did however really like the Riesling and would highly recommend it if you come out here. I should add that my feelings on the two Chardonnays are no reflection on Milos themselves. My only wish is for the wine menu (
Red Wine Flight
Whit Wine Flight

Smoked Salmon Plate
   Well after tasting so many wines I decided that it was time to grab a bite to eat. I chose a dish which unfortunately I forgot the name of  (I know shame on me) that consisted of Smoked Salmon (Lox) Capers, Caviar, Cream Cheese and onions, there were one or two other ingredients that I simply forgot. This dish also came with crackers that went perfectly with this dish. Overall I give this dish a 10 and presentation was a 10 as well. The Salmon (Lox) was cold and fresh and the Cream Cheese was creamy and appeared to be home made was not simple store bought Cream Cheese thrown on top, The whole meal was awesome. The only bump (not really) came
Crackers To Go With The Smoked Salmon Plate
when I finished the Cream Cheese before everything else. I asked my waitress if it was possible if I got some more and she happily went to the Kitchen and came back with Cream Cheese and an apology. The apology was due to the fact that there was no more of the Cream Cheese that cam with the meal originally. I did not find this to be an issue however because to me it meant that it was probably so fresh that it was made that day and that the demand surpassed the supply, ahhh.....fresh food. Tomorrow there will be more and it will be fresh for YOU (and me as well). There are kids menu items of Ham & Cheese ($6.95) & Turkey & Cheese ($6.95) as well.
Inside Seating
Miss. Desert Wine Girl Jr.
   Later on in my visit I struck up a conversation with a Male Waiter whose name I didn't get but he said he has been there 8 years and he took me on a tour of the place. He took me to a small, (again rustic) banquet section and upstairs where there is also a 3 room Bed & Breakfast. I was also informed that there is a Massage Therapist on call as well. One other item of note is that  the owner of Milo's (Milo Hurst is a big supporter of the arts with the first Tuesday of each month being a chance for all artists to display their work for a $10 entry fee. This is also an opportunity to sketch from a live (clothed) model . The hours of the art fair are 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
   One last item I would like to cover is the service. I thought the service was very friendly and professional. The two servers I did have a chance to interact with when things slowed down were long term employees with one being there 8 years and the other 10 years, they both seemed genuinely happy to be there. If there was one negative item I could say that I noticed it would be that I thought one more server would have been nice during the busy times because it seemed that the servers didn't really have enough time to interact with the customer and in a casual small town setting I think that is very important. It really did seem like they wanted to talk and develop a down home /  professional relationship there simply wasn't any time to. Were they busy for a few hours? Yes they were but that one more server would have made things a little more interactive for the servers and the customers as well as given the servers a couple of seconds of down time to catch their breath. One last note here before I wrap this up. Milos does have an Espresso Bar as well although at the time I didn't see anyone at it it the Espresso machine did look fancy.
White Wine at Milos Cellar

   So here is the wrap up. I thought Milos Cellar was very nice indeed. The prices could have been slightly lower as I thought they were a little overpriced. The atmosphere is very welcoming and casual, so casual in fact that it almost feel like anything but shorts or is over dressed although you would certainly not stand out with a pair of faded Blue Jeans on should you choose that option (as I did). If you are a people watcher you will feel right at home here as well. I sat by myself and did not feel out of place. People were laughing and simply enjoying the great weather and there were no loud drunks to spoil the vibe. Service as I mentioned previously was great and very welcoming. Would I come back? Absolutely without a doubt but this time I would stay away from those two White wines I mentioned.

                                                                                                              

                                                                                                                    The Desert Wine Guy


www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos


No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...