Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Desert Wine Guy - Take Care Of Your Own Vineyard First

   I am sitting here at my computer watching some YouTube videos about grape vines and how to prune and care for them. As you already know, I am not an expert at grape growing and I don't mind admitting that I am learning as I go. Having now said that  let me go on as to why I suddenly stopped watching the videos and had to write this short article. Doing my research I came across many types of vineyard videos. There are some that teach how to prune. There some that teach how to fertilize or how to train the vine and this is all well and good. There are some really good videos out there that can and do teach the proper care and maintenance of the vineyard. There are however,  also some videos that should not be posted at all. While some of those videos appear to be produced very well they just go against everything that the real professionals with the vineyards in Napa Valley put out. These videos also have vines that look like they have never been cared for until the day the video was being made, the vines look simply out of control. These are the same videos that show the person in the video yanking and pulling on the vines or cutting the vine incorrectly or at the wrong places, basically the vines look like a mess. I would be embarrassed to show some of the vineyards that some of these people show. I think that our vineyards should be treated correctly and that includes how they look, especially if you are going to make videos on how to care for them. If you have canes growing all over the place or canes that were never trained correctly you will have a vineyard that is out of control or appears to be growing unattended.
    Folks the bottom line here is if you want to post a video on Facebook to try and teach or show someone a vineyard and how one should look or how to take care of one please have your own vineyard in order first otherwise you appear to be someone who just wants attention and just got a video camera. 

                                                                                                        The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...