Saturday, June 22, 2024

2018 Chateau Ste Michelle, Chardonnay - Canoe Ridge Estate

    The other day, my white wine fridge wet down, it was not cooling. I thought for a second about getting it fixed but thought again when I remembered that things are being made to be disposable in todays world. Long gone are the days when a product lasted and you could pass actually it down to your children. With prices for repairs being so expensive now, it was sadly better to just throw out the fridge then to try and fix it. I did some searching on the web and found that a 34 bottle wine fridge which is what I had, was actually pretty expensive. Eventually I came across one being sold at Walmart which was the Arctic King, 34 bottle wine fridge and it was available for $159 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-King-Premium-34-Bottle-Standard-Wine-Cooler-Glass-Door-AWCA034ADB/737222365). After reading all the available reviews on the product, I figured I would go ahead and buy it as the reviews were portraying it as a very well made appliance. Three weeks later, I decided to do a review of it on my wine YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgp-5uwUo9s). By the way, I would love for you guys to check it out as I think you will be in for a surprise. Having said this, today I will be pulling a wine out of that very fridge and doing a review on it so let's get to it.
   Today I will be taking a look at the 2018 Chateau Ste. Michelle, Chardonnay - Canoe Ridge Estate. I paid $11.99 for the wine and the bottle is cork sealed. The grapes (100% Chardonnay) for the wine come from the Canoe Ridge Estate vineyards which are located in Washington State. The vines for these grapes are planted on their own root-stock and the alcohol percentage of the wine comes in at 14.5%
   On the nose there is pear and ...well, that is all, I wish I could say more.
   As far as the label on the bottle goes, it is well done and very sharp looking. As a consumer, I am convinced that the wine inside the bottle is going to be very nice indeed. Here is yet another case where less is better. This to me seems to always work with a white wine but I have trouble with it on a red for some reason. The font chosen for the winery name really is well chosen and well placed on the label. I remember as I was scanning the shelf and came across this bottle I just had to pick it up to see what it was. Once I saw the winery name on the label, it went into my cart. Did the label fool me into thinking this was a good wine? We will soon find out.
   Starting off here I will tell you that the 14.5% alcohol (rather high) is tasted on the palate. Even before I knew the alcohol percentage, I said to Mrs. Desert Wine Girl "the alcohol is high here" and sure enough, I was correct. The second and third thing that I will tell straight out of the gate is that this is a dry Chardonnay and, the wine definitely sat in oak, that is also for sure and for me, and in reference to the oak, a bit too long for my liking. There is also a creamy note (or sense) to the wine that I enjoyed and this note came more on the mid-palate but was overall well placed overall. Another nice aspect of the wine was that you can sense the soil the grapes for the wine were grown in and while that would normally be a good thing, here it is just overwhelmed by the oak. A stone note is presented here as well and while it would normally be good thing as well, it can't overpower the rest of the wine. Green Pear is here but it is almost completely hidden unfortunately and more sensed than anything else. Vanilla is most definitely here and it too is a killer as it is best friends with that oak. I am also picking up a buttery note here that is well integrated but that doesn't mean anything as the note is just... lost and without any value due to the other overdone notes the wine is so fond of displaying. On the sides of the palate was a brightness that was nice but was unfortunately killed by the main body of the wine in general.
Guys, I really don't have anymore to say, the wine was in my opinion at least, bad, I did not like it and will never buy it again. The only thing on point here is the acidity as it is the only thing able to manage the wood/vanilla note. As a last note, there is a weird and deep white pepper type note here that is able to spread itself out throughout the wine and again, would normally be good but here it fails. It is now time to conclude this review, I will see you in the next paragraph.
   Here we are guys, the conclusion paragraph. I'll just say this flat out once again, I did not enjoy the wine and would not buy it again. What is really weird is that the wine gets very good reviews, I am left wondering if I am tasting the same wine they are. I am sorry guys but the wine was just killed with oak, a toast type note and a vanilla note to go right along with those other two. There was no real fruit to speak of and what is here, is extremely limited. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale, I am giving this wine 86 points. The wine was very close to being a sink wine guys and I suggest you stay far away from it. 

                                                                                                The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Mulderbosch - Chenin Blanc

  2023 Mulderbosch - Chenin Blanc    What do you think of when you hear a business, any business is into "sustainability"? I could...