Thursday, June 29, 2023

Agriculturist, Non-Vintage, White Wine Blend

 

   
  Are you guys big into the whole "organic" thing? Are you willing to spend more money on fruits & vegetables that were (supposedly) grown without the use of artificial chemicals or pesticides? For me, I am sort of into the whole buying organic fruits and vegetables thing provided they are not overly expensive. What I have never bought though is an organic wine, that is until yesterday, and which just so happens to also be our review wine today. How did I come across today's review wine, well ya see, there I was at my local wine shop and I wanted something different. To be honest, I was growing kind of tired of the typical Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay expressions that I have been reviewing...at least for a day or so that is :) and I wanted something different, something unique. So I'm in the store and I went to the white wine section and in that section was a subsection that said something like "other whites". Well, I thought, let's see what they have. I ended up finding a wine that I was really intrigued by because of the way it was made, it was organic.
Before I move on and get into the wine itself though, I think that you have to think about something, and I can be completely wrong here but my thoughts are that unless you are going to go totally organic, or at least mostly, why bother spending the extra money in the first place? Sure, I guess every bit of clean food helps but how much does it really help and is it at that point really worth the extra money? Let me know your thoughts on this guys, I'm curious. Right now though it is time to check out today's wine, I will see you in the next section.  
   Today I am going to check out the organic and non-vintage, Agriculturist, white wine blend. I paid $11.99 for this wine and the alcohol percentage comes in at 13.5%. The bottle is cork sealed and its grapes simply come from California. The wine is actually part of the Frey Vineyards lineup but on their website (https://www.freywine.com/product/Organic-Agriculturist-Blanc--NV?pageID=8F038AC8-E133-D06E-4E9A-4700ACD8700A&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=10&) they, unfortunately, don't have very much to say about it.
   Now as far as the label goes, it is super busy. Take a look at the label for yourself folks, do you guys find it to be crazy as well? I guess you can take your pick as to whether or not to use the words crazy or busy in describing the label but to me, it is just screaming to get the attention I think it rightfully deserves. To me, the label looks like an advertisement for a carnival of some kind. I am not normally really into crazy labels such as this but in this case, being that the wine is an inexpensive, non-vintage, white blend, I really did get into it and think it is super nice.
   Appearance-wise in my glass now, the wine initially comes across as a lightish gold and that gold shows for a lot of the wine although it appears to eventually move into being clear in color as the sits open for a bit which I find rather weird.
   As for the nose now, I am getting a slightly subdued peach as well as a slightly subdued nectarine as well. Finishing the bouquet off is a bit of a fresh honey note as well.
   It is palate time now guys and I would like to start off here by first telling you what I am expecting from this white wine blend. I am expecting a semi-sweet, tropically fruity, white wine. Normally this is not my preferred style of wine but with the weather outside right now here in "Freedom" Florida being rather humid and warm, I will be very happy with that if I can indeed get it. Starting off here, the first thing that I noticed was that there is a carbonation to the wine and this kind of immediately threw my palate off a bit. What I found truly bothersome though is that the wine also has almost a slight seltzer taste to it which I found to be really off-putting and as you can imagine, is a note that should not be offered up in any wine. Now, there is fruit to the wine in the form of the same apricot and peach that I got on the nose but unfortunately, the fruit comes across as being rather unripe and doesn't do anything to uplift the wine up instead merely allowing it to continue on with what ended up being a downhill kind of slide. I am also getting a honey note here that I picked up on the nose and it is not honeysuckle, but what comes across as a bit of pure and fresh honey and while it is nice, it can't change anything here in the wine as it is simply, in general, coming across as just.... "off". My palate is just not mixing with this wine well at all folks and I need to let you know very quickly that I am beginning to feel that this wine might be headed towards being a disaster overall.
Now acidity is fairly moderate here and would normally be considered by me to be very enjoyable as you can tell it wants to do its job but sadly, there are way too many negative things going on in the wine to allow that to happen. As I said earlier, while there is a fruity note to the wine which is coming from that peach and apricot, that fruity aspect is ultimately destroyed rather fast as the wine quickly opens and becomes....a wine that is just extremely disjointed and erratic in its presentation. Topping all of this off and putting the nail in the final coffin is a bitter note that the wine just seems to love to exude and it is bad guys, this note really is the topping off to what I consider to be a badly made white wine. With all of this being said, I am going to cut this review short, as in ending it right now, and let you know I will see you in the conclusion paragraph.
   Now that we are here, I want to let you know that I don't think this wine is something the winery has put any serious thought into. Non-vintage, has no tech sheet, and a simple and generic "California" as far as where the grapes are grown....yeah....too bad, I truly expected more from it. On The Desert Wine Guy, I am giving this wine 84 points and I do not suggest you buy it for any occasion.

                                                                                                The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...