Tuesday, October 11, 2022

2021 Alma Mora, Malbec

 

       So, I have a couple of questions for you guys. When you finally are able to break out of drinking your preferred wine varietals, do you often find yourself being disappointed much more then you are pleased? I only ask this question because today I did just that, I broke out of my normal red wine pattern and into a red wine varietal that happens to be one of the most popular wine varietals in America only.....not for me. I guess in all fairness this breaking out doesn't always turn out bad as I did discover my favorite red varietal doing just that which is the Tempranillo varietal. Do you guys do a lot of exploring as far as wine varietals go or do you prefer to stick with a few safe ones? I really do want your thoughts on these questions as I need to see if I am just weird when it comes to this aspect of wine drinking or if my feelings are common.
   Alright wine lovers, let's talk about this wine I am reviewing now. Today I am going to be taking a look at the 2021 Alma Mora, Malbec (http://www.fincalasmoras.com/en/almamora/). Here is another wine that I bought at my local supermarket, I paid $10.99 for it and the bottle is cork sealed. The wine comes in at a low (for the varietal) 12.5% alcohol and is 100% Malbec.
   Let's move onto the label now and see what is going on with it. One thing you guys should know is that I hate narrow wine bottles. I hate them so much that when I put the picture of these wine bottles at the beginning of the reviews, I often widen them just a bit :)  Well, along with a narrow wine bottle of course usually comes a narrow label as well and I dislike that almost as much. As for a few positives, I do like the fact that there is very little on the label as I think that cleanness portrays a sense of classiness. What I find really cool is the fact that the black dots on the label are all raised and I think that not only took a bit of extra money but thought as well. Overall, I think the winery did a decent job here.
   Now for the nose of this wine, there really is none and that is not just coming from me but three other people as well.
   Let's get into the palate now. Starting off here, red plum presents itself throughout the wines palate presentation and to me, it is not presented in a common way in as far as it's weird forwardness is concerned. As I was working on this review, I found myself having rather mixed feelings on how I felt concerning what I was actually tasting as far as the plum goes. I had no problem identifying what fruit I was tasting but rather how that fruit was tasting. To me, the red plum had a weird, funky taste and was too dominate overall which caused it to be rather out of place. Whatever the reason, I definitely did not care for how it came across. There is a very light tang of sorts that is present in this wine and I am not a lover of it either, it seems again to be out of place and just.....weird. Another weird thing about the wine is that it fluctuates.....changes things up at what seems to be almost every sip. One minute it is okay and the next it is not. There is a dry spice the wine presents but unfortunately I'm not feeling it either, I simply don't like it and the wine seems very disjointed on top of all of this. The wine also presents an overall dryness that slightly compounds all of those unlikable notes thereby making the entire wine taste and therefore rate really badly in my book. There was a slight black berry note that began pretty nicely but runs smack dab into the other notes that I mentioned and they just make this black berry kind of useless as they kill the entire wine for me. Look guys, I could go on for a little bit buy why should I ? It is time to get to the conclusion paragraph.
   Right up front I will give you the Desert Wine Guy rating which is 85 points. Would I but the wine again. The answer is absolutely not, I would not. The wine was a mess and was just all over the place. At times it would start off good but almost immediately it would turn offensive. At other times it would start off bad and remain consistently disjointed. I'll end this review like this. The wine is a waste of grapes, stay away from it.


www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...