Monday, February 14, 2022

The Desert Wine Guy - 2020 Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuisse, Chardonnay

 

2020 Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuisse, Chardonnay
  
   Don't you just hate it when you find out that you overpaid for a wine? Two years ago (2020) I bought the 2019 vintage of the wine I am reviewing today from what at that time was my favorite wine shop here in central Florida and I paid $16.99 for it. Today I bought the 2020 vintage of that same wine only at my local supermarket and paid only $11.49 for it. Yeah, can you say "ripped off" guys? That wine shop that use to be my favorite is also $2 more on another particular wine that I love which is from the Napa Valley winery, Pine Ridge and is the Chenin Blanc & Viognier white blend (https://desertwineguy.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-desert-wine-guy-2018-pine-ridge.html) which is awesome and highly recommended by the way. Small business owners, take note, this is how small business lose customers and eventually go under. I get the whole "bigger business have more buying power" thing, but a $5 difference for a single bottle of wine? Yeah, I don't buy it. Okay, I feel much better now so let's get into this wine :)
   The wine that I am reviewing today is the 2020 Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuisse, Chardonnay and as I said, earlier, I paid $11.49 for it. The wine is cork (real) sealed, is 100% Chardonnay and, has never touched wood of any kind while sitting in Stainless Steel tanks for 13 months. The alcohol percentage comes in at a very comfortable 13% and the grapes come from the Maconnais region of Burgundy. As a final nete here, the label is a brand owned by Kobrand Wine & Spirits (https://www.kobrandwineandspirits.com/portfolio/browse_wines#search=&brand=&wine_type=&varietal=&region=&sub_region=&appellation=&price=).
   Lets go ahead and take a look at the label on this bottle of French, Chardonnay. I think that I said what I am about to say in my review of the 2019 varietal of this wine but my feelings still stand and so I will repeat myself. This is a beautifully designed label. The French have such a classic and fancy way of choosing the particular fonts/scripts used on their wine labels folks. These fonts/scripts scream French and shout precision crafted wine like you would see being enjoyed in a top notch restaurant or on a James Bond movie or something. What else can I say? The label very simply rocks.
   Now it is time to take a look at the nose on this wine. As I bring the glass to my nose I get a large sense of perceived brightness, acidity & stone fruit. Thankfully, I get the hint as well that there will be a bit of tropical fruit sweetness thrown into the mix as well. Notes of Brioche & a tad bit of honey come through as well here. As I sit here typing this review guys, the glass is now roughly 1.5 feet from my nose and I am still picking up the wines bouquet, amazing guys, a simply amazing bouquet.
   On the palate now.....ah, yes, the palate. When I first tasted the wine the first thing I got was absolute confirmation of what I thought I was picking up on the bouquet. Yes, this is a French Chardonnay that is run by notes of brightness, acidity, wonderful tropical stone fruit and a hint of sweetness. What I didn't pick up on the nose but what I am definitely getting here on the palate is the amazing minerality this wine puts out....wow! Superbly well integrated minerality really sets this wine off. I want to also let you know that what really allows this wine to express itself amazingly is that bit of tropical fruit sweetness I mentioned earlier.
Jadot Winery
Now before you guys go freaking out, I want to remind you that the acidity, stone fruit & minerality dominate this wine and I promise you, they have that tropical fruit sugar thing in deep check and there is no escaping that check. Yes, there is a fruit sugar type note here in the wine but it is done just right and I couldn't imagine the wine being as great as it is without it. Next up is a note of White Nectarine which is intermixed with White Peach and they present themselves as being fresh, juicy and picked at the peak of their ripeness. An apricot note jumps into the mix next and it also was picked at its peak because every ounce of its fresh taste is presented here as well. The wines acidity is pretty nice and while it doesn't override the minerality, it does give it a run for the money. How about some Yellow Apple guys? Would that be something that would sound interesting in this wine? Well guys, lucky you (and me) because you have it here and it's nicely presented as well. Something really different here is that this wine in general seems to have every note presented almost all at once and leaves it up to you to sort out. That sorting out of the notes that make up the wine is super fun because just when you think you taste this, you taste that, just when you taste that, you taste this. As a whole, the wine is busy trying to impress you and I for one am impressed for sure. In the process of trying to impress I can't forget to let you know that the wine puts out a wonderful lemon note as well. This lemon note that I am talking about thankfully leaves the twang at home and it therefore is never able to interject a sharp note onto the palate which would effect the wine, I think in a negative way. What is left is a lemon which nicely attaches itself onto the other notes the wine puts out and present itself as fresh and controlled. Let me go ahead now and wrap this review up now.
Picnic Time
   I'll just cut to the chase as I begin this final paragraph. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale, I am giving this wine a very solid, 94 points. The wine was indeed very nice and I completely enjoyed it. That slight bit of tropical fruit sweetness was necessary in order to bring this wine down off of its dryness/minerality high horse. The dryness/minerality does indeed rule big time but is necessary as they allow those very effective stone fruit notes to interject themselves properly. Folks, the wine very simply is amazing and just works. So, that is all  have to say concerning this wine. If you want a dry expression of the Chardonnay varietal, this is the wine you want in your cellar. Buy three bottles folks because I promise you that if your palate is geared towards a French Chablis (Chardonnay) you will not regret it.

                                                                                                                                          Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...