Monday, February 22, 2021

The Desert Wine Guy - Life Cycle of The Grape

  

Pic #1 - Inflorescence's
  So there I was, the kids had just gotten home from school (thank you Governor Desantis) and normally we go out back by the pool so they can do homework while I review a wine. Today however, I just wasn't feeling it (I know huh). I simply was not in the mood to review or really even taste a wine but the kids insisted, so I gave in. It's a good thing I have some white wines resting in the wine fridge because a red wine was simply out of the question. I figured I would pull out something on the lighter and fruitier side and at least try to enjoy it. I ended up pulling out a Sauvignon Blanc that I've had for a couple of years and that I already reviewed.
Photo #2 - Flower Clusters
I thought, "How bad could it be to just sip on a white wine while I do this article that I think you will find both enjoyable as well as hopefully, educational?" For those of you who are interested, I am sipping on the 2016 Baus Family Vineyards - Sauvignon Blanc which is awesome by the way. So why am I writing instead of using this opportunity to just relax? Well, to me, writing is most times itself very relaxing as I really love to educate people on topics that I know at least something about, such as wine. I also have a lot of people to credit for the little bit of knowledge on plants and vineyards that I have so I love to pay it back by spreading that knowledge.....to you, my readers. In this case, I am giving back by taking you for a short trip through the life span of the grape. Let's start at the beginning here.
    After all the of the soil prep, the digging, the planting of the vine to it's proper depth and the vine pruning, it is finally time to give our baby vines some water. Most of the hard work is now pretty much done but there is stuff we need to do to ensure these vines grow healthy and straight so they can produce Cordons that will grow Shoots/Canes which is what our grapes will grow off of. There is still work to be done such as spraying natural (hopefully) pesticides to ensure the vines are not bothered by pests or any form of fungus or mildew (hello Florida).
Photo #3 - Baby Grapes
It always seems that the work is really never done but that is also part of the fun of gardening at least in my opinion and that is after all what planting and working with grapevines really is anyway, gardening. Eventually, if everything goes well we experience that happy day when we see clusters of what are called "Inflorescences" (see Photo #1). Inflorescences are basically buds for the flower clusters that come next. At this point I personally get excited as the grapes themselves are not too far behind. The next step in development comes when these Inflorescence's develop into those flower clusters (see Photo #2) I just mentioned.These flower clusters are self pollinating in the Vitis Vinifera species which is where we are concentrating our attention and so they do not need cross pollination. Once they are pollinated they lose their petals and baby grapes begin to appear (Photo #3). A great wine is getting loser to being made but remember that bad grapes cannot make great wines.
Photo #4 - Veraison
 The next step in grape development is called Veraison (see Photo #4). All grapes start off green and as the sugar (Brix) level in the grape increases they turn colors provided of course they are not a varietal which is meant to remain green. With this rise in the sugar levels, this also is when the birds become interested in the grapes and it is time to net the vines. If not picked and left to hang on the vine, grapes will eventually turn into raisins (see Photo #5) which is the final stage before they dry up and die.
   I hope this helps some of you guys that are either perhaps in the process of developing or thinking of developing your own vineyard or maybe are simply curious and wanting to know what the stages of grape development there are.
Photo #5 - Raisins Hanging On Vine
   
   While this is a short article compared to my usual wine reviews, I thought it was a necessary article because so many people who love wine either have no clue concerning what happens in the vineyard or are simply curious as to how the vine grows grapes. Either way, I hope I have helped some of you get your answers. If you are interested, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csKN3fVhQik) is a short video on the topic of grape development. If you would like to watch a video entailing the planting process, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyO_c6kIXCk) is a great video for you.
 
                                                                                                                                     The Desert Wine Guy
 






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...