Wednesday, January 20, 2021

2013 Abbot - Red Wine

 

  What is going on guys? Today, as I write this review it is Sunday and I hope you all had a chance to relax and possibly enjoy a bottle of wine yourself just as I am about to do. Is it just me or do you also find youself "relaxing" by doing little odd choirs around the house? As an example, today I began to put my theatre back in order after painting it. It took a few days but it is really nice and as soon as I get my new CD/DVD rack, I will be having the re-opening where I will break into the "good stuff" and pick out a wine that has been aging for a few years. I actually have a few of these wines so I will find it hard to choose the right one but I am sure it will work out. I always find it kind of sad in a way when I break into my temperature controlled cellar and open the last bottle of a particular wine because once it's gone, it's gone, there is no more to enjoy. I guess that if I don't drink the wine it will eventually go bad and I certainly don't want that. I'm thinking that perhaps the 2011 Stags Leap, Napa Valey - Cabernet Sauvignon might be in order or maybe even the 2010 St. Francis - Cabernet Sauvignon might be a better choice, what do you think? Well, I guess I will I will pick the right wine when it is time and I also will be sure to do a review of that wine so that you will know how the wine was. Until that happens though, let's see what todays review wine is all about.

   Today I am reviewing the 2013 Abbot - Red Wine from Burning Tree Cellars which is located in Cottonwood Arizona. I have been discovering recently that the wines I have from Arizona are from the general vintage (2013) and unfortunetly, the corks are failing. Today, I had to throw out a Cabernet Sauvignon from the state because I couldn't get the cork out. I know huh? Thankfully though, I was able to remove this one without any issues and so I get to see how well it held up. This wine cost me $35 at the winery and as I already said, the bottle is cork sealed. The wine is a blend of 58% Cabernet Franc, 36% Merlot and 6% Cabernet Sauvignon.
   Now, let's talk about the label on this bottle. I normally find wine labels from Arizona to be filled with Pagan and demonic creatures or characters but in this case I get it. There is a picture of an Abbot on the front label hence the name. Do I like the label? I just think the label is okay, weird but okay. To me it is just very simple and I would preffer something to lighten it up or some kind of contrast.
   Now as for the nose of this wine I am getting what comes across as a semi bright but dark, black cherry. I am also getting a bit of sweet spice and a bit of oak as well. Topping the bouquet off is some cocoa that does come across rather nicely.
   Now, it is time to discuss the palate presentation of this red wine. The first thing I want to tell you is that this is not an easy drinking wine nor is it a wine that you will drink a lot of in one sitting unless you have some food with it of course. After all these years, there is a peppery spice that still presents itself as an in your face type note. Following this up is a note of plum which comes along next but instead of acting as a cut to that pepper it brings in a bit of sweetness and just pays along with it. There is also a bit of an alcohol type burn here on the palate that doesn't seem to fade and I find it a bit really over the top and bothersome. The wine does have a plushness of sorts that it exposes which is pretty nice but it butts heads with massive acidity that is also just way over the top to the point of where it is ofensive in my book. Cranberry is noted in here as well but in reality, that is the last note this wine needs as it intermixes with the acidity and pepper and together become a trio of sorts which in this case is not a good thing. Guys, I really hate to do this as the review just began but I really can't drink anymore of the wine, I musy use it for another purpose which I will disclose in the next paragraph.
   As I end this rather short review I must let you know that the wine is out of balance in my book as that constant alcohol note never lets up and neither does the wines over the top acidity. These two notes in my opinion simply kill this wine. I don't think that I have ever had a red wine that is so astringant guys. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I am giving this wine 85 points which means the sink is coming quickly. Over the top and offensive, that is all I have to say in relation to this wine. That's it for this review guys, I will see you next time but for now, I have to clean my sink and this wine will do that. 

  

                                                                                                                                     The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...