Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Desert Wine Guy - 2018 Hess Select Sauvignon Blanc



   The other day I was doing some shopping with Mrs. Desert Wine Girl in our local Supermarket here in Florida and as we walked in I noticed that there was a display which read "buy one get one free" in reference to this wine which is the 2018 Hess Select - Sauvignon Blanc. Well I figured it was from the Hess winery so how could I resist. Today you and I will find out together if I should have resisted. Let's go ahead and get into this wine review now.
   Lets start off with the fact that the wine cost $20. Now I found out later that the wine actually  averages $10 for a bottle so this buy one, get one "deal" was really no deal at all. The wine is sealed with a Screw Cap unfortunately and comes in at 13.5% Alcohol. The Hess "Select" Collection Sauvignon Blanc comes from the North Coast of California and the wine is 100% Sauvignon Blanc.
   As I go ahead and pour the wine into my glass, what am I seeing as far as legs (Gibbs-Marangoni Effect) go is that they are thin and flowed slowly down the sides of my glass. As for the color of the wine now, I get an almost clear liquid with perhaps some slight silver showings in my glass.
   Moving now onto the Bouquet I'll tell you straight out that I loved it. This wine presented a very tropical Bouquet and one which made me think of ripe melon and Guava, I'm totally feeling it. Honeydew is presented as well and is brought out in such a way that it doesn't dominate over the other Notes. Topping the Bouquet off is a note of Pineapple as well and it matches the strength of the Honeydew in its presentation.
  Alright, now onto the Palate presentation of this
wine now. Beginning off here there was a  
massive Palate overdose of Apricot as well as a good bit of a Lemon/Lime harshness.While the Bouquet of the wine was nice and tropical, the Palate was really missing this tropicalness big time. As I continue on here I must tell you that the wine was overall abrasively harsh on the Opening which was followed up by a big Mid-Palate misfire due to its overall flatness and lack of ability to show anything off. In reality I could end this review right here and give you the Desert Wine Guy rating but I won't do that so just yet so let me backup a bit for you guys. When you first taste the wine, for a split second there is a bit of a fruity tropical melon note on the Palate and you first think that the tropicalness from the Bouquet transferred on over to the palate but that is definitely not the case. The melon note lasts for just that second and then is gone, for good. As the wine warms a bit that tropical melon lasts just a slight bit longer but not long enough to be really worthwhile or of note. An overdone and harsh Lemon Zest is what this wine seems to be proud of and is in love with exposing and presenting these notes in an over abundance. That is it, as you can see, the wine is super limited in as far as its taste goes. This is NOT what a Sauvignon Blanc should be, not even close.
   Guys, I'm sorry, I am just totally not feeling this wine. What could have possibly given this wine some sort of life was some nice tropical fruit Notes and at least some type of structure, but neither were to be had at all. Even if the wine lost a heck of a lot of its Palate abrasiveness and harshness, this wine would be a flop. On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I am giving this wine a weak, sink pouring, 86 points. I definitely should have resisted.

                                                                                                                                The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy








No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...