Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Desert WIne Guy - 2014 Peju Cabernet Sauvignon


  The other day I was at my favorite Restaurant here in Las Vegas and ordered a wine from my favorite Napa Valley Winery, Peju. The Peju Winery (http://www.peju.com/) is located in the Eastern part of the Napa Valley and produces my absolute favorite Cabernet Sauvignon. As a matter of fact the Peju Cabernet Sauvignon is the only wine that I have ever tasted where I am actually capable of saying "that's Peju". From my very first trip to the Napa Valley years ago to this very day, Peju Cabs simply rock. While at the Restaurant I ordered the meat Lasagna and two glasses of our review wine which is the 2014 Peju Cabernet Sauvignon. I for certain knew that I was going to sleep very well that night. After the Dinner I ended up buying a bottle of this fantastic wine and so here we are now, at review time. Since purchasing the wine I have actually had to wait a few days to open it up due to be busy re-doing Mirror Image Vineyard but now that the time has come I will certainly be putting this wine review front & center above all my other pending reviews because I want you guys to not only know about this wine but to track it down and buy at least two bottles. So now that you have a little background into my purchase of this wine let's get to the actual review.
   Let's begin at the Nose. I remember when the wine glass was brought over to my table and the wines Bouquet drifted up to my nose. The Bouquet was just wonderful and even Mrs. Desert Wine Girl who doesn't drink (I know huh) commented on just how nice it smelled as she sat across from me. Oak, wonderful and powerful, Oak. There was an immediate sense just from the Oak that this could very well be a serious Old School type Cabernet Sauvignon. This Oak was nowhere near overdone yet certainly up front none the less. Following the Oak up is a luxurious Blackberry, jammy type note which slowly escaped from the glass and if you have ever smelled something that is so enticing that you simply must eat or drink it now, that is what this Bouquet did for me. I don't know about you but I happen to believe strongly that the Bouquet of a wine is one of the key components that make it stand out on the Palate and the mind in general. The Bouquet also has the ability to assist a wine in standing out above the mediocre expressions of the very same varietal and also contribute big time to what that particular wine is all about. Along this Blackberry, jammy type note with this note I want go add that the serious Oakey note which escaped from the glass brought with it an overall sense of depth and also created a serious longing for me to get his wine to the Palate quickly. Folks, that is something however which must wait as there is much more to discuss here prior to that. How about a note of dark Black Cherry? Real Napa Cab lovers, the powerful expression of this dark Black Cherry on the nose not only stood above any expression of the fruit that I have ever experienced in a wine but was the deepest, darkest and yet smoothest at the same time that I have ever experienced. At this point I am in Heaven and my mouth is almost salivating to taste this wine as I already know what I am going to experience.
These notes I am talking about were before even swirling the glass by the way. After swirling the glass, wonderful dark Cocoa / Chocolate notes came pushing their way through. A note of deep, rich Blackberry came up from the glass as well, I am truly impressed by what I am picking up on the Nose of this wine. Talk about black fruit folks, this wine is the epitome of that expression. On the back end of the Bouquet is a dark Raisin note which certainly is present but know that it blended itself in so expertly with the other notes that you weren't picking up a simple Raisin from a Cardboard box, you were picking up a fruit that was actually in the process of converting to a Raisin. But wait, there more (yeah I said that) as there is also a Prune type note that seems to go hand in hand with this Raisin and together just assists that much more in creating a power packed Bouquet. This wines Bouquet is also exhibiting a deep note of Leather on the nose. Overall the depth and complexity of the Bouquet of this wine is simply tremendous and in my opinion Peju is showing once again why I love their Cabernet Sauvignon so much. Have you ever put your nose in a wine glass and picked up notes that are in reality only detectable on the Palate? Well as I put my nose into the wine glass I am getting what can only be described as Black Currant on the nose, is that crazy? This note also just rushes out of the glass but as with the other notes, not too fast as it seems as if their overall combined priority in general is to serve you and be there for your enjoyment just as it should be. I have experienced many wines where the different notes seem at odds with one another but not here.  Alright, so we now know what the Nose is happily doing and is expressing but what about the Palate there Desert Wine Guy, after all you want me to spend $50 for a bottle of wine. Well for those of you who still have any doubts concerning this wine, read on as I get to the Palate part of this review.
   Let's begin with the first note that I originally actually picked up on the nose and that is the French & American Oak with 40% being new. I believe  tha the use of these two Oaks and the 40% being new Oak shows a commitment from the Winemaker to a serious wine. Yes indeed there is a moderate presence of Oak on the Palette but please don't think that I am reviewing an "Oak Bomb" of a wine because I certainly am not as this wine is definitely so much more. The Oak on the Palate brings a Palate darkness of sorts to the wine which thrusts it forward on the Palate. The Oak also begins the wines immediate separation from other less expertly crafted wines from the get go. I will share with you for a second my opinion concerning Oak in a Red wine. I truly feel that Oak does certainly have its place in any red wine in general as it brings the Palate away from what is usually the fruity (at times overly fruity) notes of a wine. In a good or great red wine however I feel that it is an absolute must. That feeling couldn't be any more reinforced in my mind and perhaps yours as well then in this wine. Lets talk for a minute now about some dark, Black Cherry that I first pointed out on the nose. Here again is another note that translates super well onto the Palette and without a hitch. Readers......this is not just a dark Black Cherry that I am tasting. Once again the word "depth" comes into play. No, this is not some run of the mill sugary dark, Black Cherry, no way. This is a dark fruit note which presents itself with power behind it and actually shuns the common sugar note for the most part. This is the real taste of the fruit when it has almost come to the end of its enjoyment yet still maintains that ripeness that is at perfection. Now wait a minute wine lovers because usually when a fruit nears it's end of enjoyment or life that might initially sound like a bad thing and at times it may be, it is surely not bad in this case. When you taste this note you will see what I mean. Red wine lovers, trust me that when blended with everything else this wine has to offer on the nose and the Palate, this note of dark Black Cherry rocks! If you take all that into account you would only just have only an inkling of what I am experiencing right now. Let me talk also about the dark Chocolate and Cocoa note on the Palate for a minute.
There are times when notes of Chocolate or Cocoa actually come from the Oak Barrel which the wine sits in and it is possible that this wine is no exception.This isn't like the Candy Bar type Chocolate you buy while waiting in line at the store dear readers, no way. This is a quality Chocolate / Cocoa that you would buy at an expensive store that caters to Professional Chefs or purhaps those in the Restaurant industry. Smooth and luscious yet not overly sugary, this note(s) is also like the Oak, used as a break from the fruit note temporarily and works rather efficiently. For those of you who have experienced a red wine with these two notes in them you know what I mean, for those who have not, think of the time you tasted that great Hot Chocolate and that smooth semi rich flavor that you tasted, that is what is in this wine only in moderation of course. Now, don't get me wrong as the wine this wine is full of flavor yet these particular notes help to create a seriousness in the wine. The depth of the Chocolate and Cocoa is to the point of almost presenting a delicateness of sorts in the wine. There is also a light note of Brown Sugar or Molasses that is expressed here on the Palate and once again I find myself taking about the depth of this wine here folks. Now imagine for a minute that dark Black Cherry and the Chocolate and Cocoa notes presented onto the Palate, yum. I don't know if I mentioned that the Brown Sugar /Molasses note is just ......superb? Well guys it is superb and of course does bring some sugar to the wine but it is not just sugar that it brings, it is Brown Sugar / Molasses and somehow the sweetness level is well under control and couldn't possibly be found to found offensive.
This wine is not a Sugar Bomb folks so please do not even think that as this wine is far from that type of a red as you can get. While these sugary notes are in here and they are tasted on the Palette they are such a tiny part of this wine. There is no simple table sugar note or cheap fruit sugar that is thrown in here just to bring some extra sweetness to the wine as is done in most of the Cabernet Sauvignons that I have been tasting as of late. The Winemaker really has perfected and excelled at his/her craft. Let's discuss Tannins for a second. Actually let's talk about structured Tannins for a second first. Yes, the Tannins in this wine are tasted on the Palate but they are not harsh nor are they "chewy". These Tannins are just right and will allow for some aging in a Cellar. By the way I use the term "structured" to mean that the they are part of the building blocks of this wine in the Mouth. The wine is not what I would say is soft on the Palette and does display a bit of Acidity to it, the Tannins come along with another note which is of Black Currant and together help the wine to present itself as that of a well aged red which will never lose it's rough edges or small amounts of tough guy type image. Alright then lets get to that Prune that I picked upon the nose as well. I'm not done folks as there is a note of dark smoke here as well. Folks a warning, if you don't like the Old School type Cabernet Sauvignon then stay away from this wine because you will be disappointed. Let's talk for a minute about a dark Plum note that is evident on the Palate. This Plum that I'm talking about is of a Plum which it is at it's peak, there is no messing around here. The wine brings with it that dark end of the Plum only and leaves out the Sugary part that we don't want or need. Far too many times I have seen this particular fruit bring with it tons of sugar but not here. With this note added to this wine it is just one more of the notes that bring an ultra seriousness to the wine.
Wine lovers, as I previously said, this is not a sweet or "fruit forward" wine, this is an extremely serious and powerful wine that carries itself with dignity. Allow me to go ahead and tell you about yet another fascinatingly expressed note, a note of Leather. For many of you it is still very cold outside. What is the most awesome thing you can wear to go out in the cold AND that goes with notes of a Red wine? If you guessed Leather, you are right. If you guessed wrong then I feel sorry for you as there is nothing as comfortable and welcoming as a Leather Jacket in the cold weather. I'm talking about a Leather Jacket that has gone through the years along with you. Yeah folks, there is a really nice yet smooth Leather note here in this wine. The closest way to describe this note is what is known as Rutherford Dust if you have ever had a wine from that AVA you know what I am talking about, it is more of a Palate feeling rather then dust (of course) and while there is some debate as to whether this "dust" actually exists or not just drink this wine and you will be a believer. A smooth yet rough edge is evident to this wine that once again sort of injects a change up in the wines presentation. What would a Cabernet Sauvignon be without some nice Blackberry? Don't worry folks as that note is here as well. As with all of the other notes, I am tasting a richness yet not a sugary richness that this fruit brings. The Blackberry note in this wine starts from the opening on the Palate and carries onto the Finish. Smoothness and perfect growing conditions are highlighted in the Blackberry as that is what is presented in this wine. Topping all of this off is a baking spice note that throws this wine over the top and into the "incredible" range. Folks, this wine is superb! On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I give this wine 96 glorious points.
   Alright I appreciate you guys reading this admittedly long review. I really felt that you guys deserved to know everything about this wine as I am asking you to spend $100 (2 bottles) for the wine. Over the top greatness is how I would describe this wine. Serious depth, Old School, worth every penny. I am headed to the Napa Valley in a couple of weeks and I will be trying Peju's other offerings. If you still want more on this wine, check out this link (https://www.peju.com/images/appbuilder/1504115747Peju_WIS_14_CabSauv_color_CasePrice.pdf).

P.S - As of the finishing of this review I have purchased a total of 4 bottles of this wine to place in my WIne Cellar.

                                                                                                                  The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos


https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...