Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The Desert Wine Guy - 2015 Josh - Cabernet Sauvignon


Josh Cellars - 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon
   Today has been a busy day for me on the Computer. Today I finally managed to completed and post my review of the 2014 BV Cabernet Sauvignon - Rutherford (https://desertwineguy.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-desert-wine-guy-2014-bv-cabernet.html) which I rated 94 points by the way. The review was the longest review that I have ever done as I had much to say. I spent the whole Morning reviewing my rough draft and finalizing the review. Why then you ask, am I back on the Computer reviewing this wine? The answer is because I am The Desert Wine Guy, that's why :) Today I will be reviewing the 2015 Josh - Cabernet Sauvignon. Mrs Desert Wine Girl and I made a rare trip to Sam's Club (we like Costco better) for some Tri-Tip that she was interested in and I of course just had to hit up the wine section. Did I mention that I like Costco better? The only really interesting wine they had besides this one was a Stags Leap Cabernet Sauvignon but I didn't feel like spending $50 again (she was watching) so I spent $10.98 for this wine. The Alcohol percentage is 13.5% which is reasonable as well. This was the only bottle of its kind left so I figured (hoped) it must be good and here we are. Let's get right to it as I am actually pretty tired of being on the Computer today and would love to just kick back and relax.
Split Cork
   The next item I need to discuss is very disappointing and so sad. From the very uncorking of the bottle there was a problem as the Cork had a major issue as you can see from the photos. The first thing that I checked was to ensure that the Cork Screw went in properly and it certainly did as it went straight through the middle of the Cork. To me it appeared as if a separation of the Cork occurred almost as if it were created in layers of a sort. Now, if this wine were being opened in a Restaurant or Bar I would hope the Waiter or Bartender would not even present it to me. I wasn't about to run back to Sam's Club to exchange the wine and when I got to the first pour and second pour there were a few very tiny particles of Cork in the wine, I actually used this a lesson for my kids as to how they should address the issue when they get older should this type of wine actually be presented to them. These particles only lasted to the second pour and then were gone so I decided to go through with the review. I should note here however that in no way was the sealing of the wine compromised.
Cork Particles In Wine
   I have been on a kick as of late for the Labels of wine and I don't see why I should stop now as I think the Label is at times a good part of the selling of the wine especially when the wine is an unknown. I thought this Label was classic and due to the Font chosen was very classy. I thought that the Label overall was inviting and eye catching.
   Let's discuss the Bouquet for a bit. Mild Oak and a moderate Clove spice, medium depth Blackberry. Finishing it off is a Cocoa note. There is also a hint of Menthol
   On the Palate this wine presents up front Blackberry that is kind of middle of the road but edges slightly toward the softer side. Following this note up is a note of Bing Cherry that is in it's prime tasting time. Mixed within is a note of Black Liquorice that is content sitting slightly froward of Mid-Palate. Following all this up is a Plum that is edging towards the end of its tasting peak but that is okay here because the flavor that it present is impressive and while it doesn't give any darkness to the wine it does provide the hint of dark fruit in a certain way. This is a very Jammy wine folks, too Jammy for me in actuality. If this weren't enough there is a Vanilla note that seamless meets a slight Oak note and becomes one with the other notes. There is a medium dark fruit richness but not a Sugary richness that I think is really nice as well. There is a serious Jammy, fruit forward richness that really throws my Palate off. I must discuss the Oakey note that this wine presents. Yes, there is Oak but it is held in check as there is truly no real darkness or real depth to the wine. Cloves seem to express itself rather nicely here and is not overpowering and just seem to be along for the ride as some of the other notes are. You can simply taste the prominent note of Cloves (like for Sure, like totally) in every sip of the wine. There are really no Tannins in the wine however there is a nice amount of Cassis that makes itself known on the Palate and I really enjoyed. Let's go ahead and not forget that there is a dried Fig fruit note that is at Mid-Palate and is fairly forward as well. Let me add one more note here and that is of Cloves.
Joesphs Father "Josh"
   In closing this review out I have to add a few things because the wine at first was what I would call........"nice" as it certainly can't (at the time at least) offend anyone because it was a......"nice" wine. As another thought concerning the wine I at first would say that the wine was very "pleasant" as well. Sooooo, what does that mean there Desert Wine Guy? Well, what that means is that at the time the wine had a lot of overall fruit flavor without anything offensive.  I guess the professional word to use here is "approachable" and I guess that at the time that word fit perfectly as well. You could  at the time even use the term "easy drinking" as well and be right on point here.Remember these comments were fitting the wine perfectly for about the first 45 minutes but the wine began to change at first slowly but then this change sped up until I had in my glass a very Fruit Forward and overly Jammy red wine that was supposed to be a Cabernet Sauvignon but certainly did not show as one either. This wine is a barrier crossing wine but that is not necessarily a good thing as it is not a true representation of the Varietal of the cabernet Sauvignon varietal. This is more of a cross between a Fruit Forward and overly Jammy Cabernet Sauvignon and a Fruit Forward and overly jammy Merlot to be precise.So what is my final say on the wine?
Joseph Carr - Founder Josh Cellars Wine
If you don't like an "Old Fashioned", deep, oakey Cabernet Sauvignon but you love a sugary, fruit forward and Jammy red wine that has the notes mentioned above then you will absolutely LOVE this wine. One review had someones Wife saying "A good bottle of wine and one that my wife, who isn't a fan of cabs, thoroughly enjoyed". This sums up this wine perfectly and I couldn't have said it any better myself. My comments taken from the same piece but from the Husbands point of view is ". It lacked many complexities that I've found in other cabs at similar prices". Overall this wine was simply too overwhelmingly sweet, Jam Monster in my opinion. Overdone, offensive and lacking of depth and structure is what comes to mind for me. While there were some nice notes that the wine did present very well in the end it was done in by the Sugar note. On The desert Wine Guy rating scale I give this wine 86 points.                                             
                                                                                                                               The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos


https://www.brighteon.com/channel/thedesertwineguy










No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...