Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Desert Wine Guy - 2011 I.G Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve



   Well everyone there comes a time when I review a wine that simply fails miserably in its ability to present itself as an even "so so" wine. As you have probably already guessed by now, today is that time. Today I will be giving you my review of the 2011 I.G Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve. While the wine is made at I.G Winery in Cedar City, Utah (http://igwinery.com/)  the grapes themselves are from the Sonoma Valley AVA. Before we enter into this review though I feel that I need to say that I really enjoy the winery itself and Doug the owner, really does make some rather nice wines (https://desertwineguy.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-desert-wine-guy-ig-winery-instant.html). I certainly do recommend that if you are near Cedar City you stop in and emjoy a tasting. Okay, so let's get to it.
  To begin with I gave this wine the opportunity to Decant for slightly more than two (2) hours prior to tasting it. When poured into my glass I must say that this wine initially impressed me by showing itself off with a rather nice Crimson Red on display. A really super nice darkness filled my glass and I could really not wait to taste it. On the nose this wine was simply fantastic and impressive. I remember expressing that very opinion while at the winery itself. A very serious Chocolate is first on the nose and reminds you of a Hershey's bar to an extent. This is followed closely behind by almost as wonderfully a very serious Molasses note that is truly nice as well and led me to believe that the wine would present itself on my Palette probably at least slightly in fruit forward and sweet to an extent, which I don't mind in the least bit as long as these notes are not overdone. I am now really enjoying the opening of this wine a lot. Simply by experiencing the Bouquet, I am and you will be hoping for a wine that will reveal an absolutely wonderful expression of this varietal. Now, I don't know about you but I can't wait to taste this wine so, with anticipation let's move to that part of this review.
   Onto the Palette now. There are pretty serious opening notes of a rather bright, harsh and offensive Cranberry as well as bright, harsh and offensive Cherry, both of which unfortunately displays themselves as the overwhelmingly dominate notes. A nice Chocolate note translates from the Palette fairly decently however unfortunately at an ineffective level and does very little in the way if softening or alter the other two previously listed harsh notes. Both the bright, harsh and offensive Cranberry and bright, harsh and offensive Cherry notes seem to lack any ability to soften to the levels needed to not be very offensive nor do they attempt to convince you that you are indeed drinking the Cabernet Sauvignon varietal. Remember this wine was Decanted for slightly over two hours. Aside from the Cocoa there are some other nice although rather slight, light to medium notes of ever so slightly refined Tannins and, Cassis and Green Pepper that indeed are nice at times however but really are overall no benefit to the wine. Now, why do I say at times?  Well, this is weird but the wine has a rather uncanny and annoying ability (or fault) to sort of fad in and fade out of what little structure it attempted hard to convince you that it had. It's a weird thing but if you are consistent at tasting the wine meaning every not much more than every minute or so, the wine seemed to hold up fairly decently. Don't get me wrong here guys, these notes of the Tannins, Cassis, Cocoa and Green Pepper are present enough to actually taste and also bring along with them a decent Molasses to the Palette but that Palette fading in and out as well as those rather bright, offensive harsh notes combine for an overall nothing short of terrible wine. A rather weird and serious problem this fading in and out is if you ask me and one that I am rather unaccustomed to as I have never experienced it. I found it rather strange. When leaving the glass for extended periods and coming back to it what happens is that the first taste on your Palette is of Cocoa but very quickly switches to that brightness, harshness yes, offensive notes once again. As the wine was opened longer, that fading in and out ceased completely and you were simply left with a terrible wine that finally became without a question, undrinkable in my book.
   O.K, so in wrapping this review up rather quickly now I am indeed sorry that I cannot recommend this wine at all, for any reason. It is not often that I can not find a use for a wine but in this case this is an exception that I am afraid I am going to have to make. On The Desert Wine Guy Rating Scale I am going to put this at a 78  points ( 78-82  - Did not like, Offensive notes, Lacking any redemptive qualities whatsoever, Not recommended.)  What a shame considering the really nice initial appearance in the glass and Bouquet. Sorry folks but I have to heavily recommend that you stay away from this wine.

                                                                                                                  The Desert Wine Guy


www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...