Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Desert Wine Guy - 2013 Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon - The Name Might Roar But The Wine Does Not


  So today you are in for a very short review. A short review simply because there is nothing to really say about the 2013 Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon at least nothing that the Vineyard or Winery wants to hear that is. Here is another wine that I purchased at Costco. I actually purchased this while I was buying the awesome 2012 Franciscan Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. This is also one of the 69 different wine labels that Ernest & Julio Gallo own. At 14% Alcohol this Cabernet is nothing at all to speak of. While the wine has an aggressive, very serious looking label making us think of the era of Knights riding around on Horses and the name "Carnivor" this wine is in reality anything but aggressive. This wine has about three different notes that I picked up and they are dark Black Berry, Bing Cherry and Sweet Plum. While that may sometimes get a wine by in this day and age if done correctly, it didn't this time. On the pour this wine started off nicely with an extremely inky appearance, an appearance that this is some deep Red with Tannins and Oak. An appearance that this red stands above the average Cabernet Sauvignon but you would be disappointed. One other impressive item (and the last) was that while my wine glass had a small amount of wine (about the size that a Winery would pour for a tasting) there was no way to see thru to the bottom of the glass. The wine appeared to be an almost Black ink as it sat there waiting to be drunk. I also noticed as I took a small drop onto my finger that was dripping from the bottle that the wine was as really as Red as Blood.
Yeah I know that's creepy but it's true. I was hoping for a very serious and aggressive wine here.  Look at the picture below to see what what the wine looked like when I poured the remainder of it down the sink.
This wine is also a wine that is like ink in as far as it stained my teeth and everything else it touched. It was almost like there actually was ink in the wine. In total I ended up giving this wine about a three hours in the bottle to open up and it remained consistently the same, there were no changes.  Here is a very seriously looking, moderately overbearing Black Berry dominate wine. There are notes of Bing Cherry and Alcohol on the finish that I don't care for because the Bing Cherry brings a sense of overdone sweetness along with it. The Alcohol at the end I of course found pretty unpleasant and a further put off. There is the ever so slightest hint of Black Pepper but not enough to make any difference here. Fairly fruity along the dark fruit side of things this wine is like thousands of other fruit forward, sugary sweet Cabernet's on the market and this one as is the others was not worth my time or yours.
   On  The Desert Wine Guy Rating Scale I give this wine 83 (Not Worth Mentioning, Not Recommended) points.

The Desert Wine Guy

 www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos


































 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...