Monday, September 5, 2016

The Desert Wine Guy - Can I Grow That Plant In My State - Using The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone guide


   Lately I have been getting some questions on what type (varietal) of grapes or species of plants in general for that matter are best suited for growing in a particular area of the country. Rather than answer everyone individually I figured I would simply write a very short article on the subject and include some graphics that will help you all in determining for yourself what you need to know. I recommend that you are still in doubt as to whether to plant a certain plant that you ask your local plant store (not Walmart) since they will only carry plants that can grow in your area. As with anything there are no "cut and dry" rules when it comes to planting either. O.K folks let's get into this. Instead of answering each persons questions individually  As always what ever questions you have on grapes or other plants please don't hesitate to contact me  (desertwineguy@gmail.com). While I am in no way an expert on these things I will research an answer for you and I WILL get back to you.
   To start off this article I have to tell you about one of the most important things you will need to know and that is that you need to discover what "Plant Hardiness Zone" you live in? There is something called the "USDA Plant Hardiness Zone". Here (http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/interactivemap.aspx) is the link to that page. Simply click on the area you live in and you will know what zone you are in, it's that simple. By the way I live in zone 9a but the state of Nevada actually ranges from 4a-10a. That is 13 different zones. The zone is based on the average low and high that your particular area (zone) experiences. There are some minor issues with the zones but for the most part the zones are reliable. Please note that if you are up for moving your potted plants everyday you can get around some of the zone issues. As an example let's say that you grow a potted plant that needs three hours of daylight at a maximum of 85 degrees. You can grow still that plant in Las Vegas and in the Summer as well but you will simply have to move the plant either inside or into the shade at a certain time each day and in THIS case I would therefore use the zones as a guide only for plants rooted into the ground. Another drawback is that the USDA map doesn't account for the beneficial effect of a snow cover over perennial plants, the regularity or absence of freeze-thaw cycles, or soil drainage during cold periods. And in the rest of the country (west of the 100th meridian, which runs roughly through the middle of North and South Dakota and down through Texas west of Laredo), the USDA map fails. Once again I would suggest using the zone map as a guide but it shouldn't take the place of you using the knowledge of your particular micro-climate and your particular situation. For me the zone guide really helps because I go to California a lot and of course there are really cool looking plants that I see there but knowing the zone in which I live, I can't grow them. I am too busy during the day to be moving potted plants back and forth so I have to settle for plants that have flowers that probably wouldn't be worth bothering with in other parts of this state or in other states in general. For those of you interested in grape vines or fruit trees here (http://www.aaronsfarm.com/Grape-Vines-s/1824.htm) is where yours truly goes for his vines. The prices are very reasonable as well considering my local plant store here sells a single Cabernet Sauvignon vine for $25 (yep).
   Well I hope I have helped you guys out and shed some light on what you most likely can and can't grow for your area. Please share this article with you friends who love the garden or are thinking of growing grapes yourself.

                                                                                                                  The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...