Monday, April 25, 2016

The Desert Wine Guy - 2013 Wilson Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Variant Series (VS)

   Here is a review of a wine I drank about a year ago but just never got around to publishing. This wine comes from one of my favorite winery's in the Temecula California area and that winery is the Wilson Creek Winery. Today's review is on their 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon VS (Variant Series). This particular wine is mostly a Cabernet Sauvignon blended with Zinfandel and Merlot and comes in with an Alcohol percentage at 14.3%. This Cabernet sells for $29.99 at the winery. Let me start off with a little bit about Wilson Creek Winery. My family and I stopped at Wilson Creek on the way out of San Diego one day.  The kids and Mrs. Desert Wine Guy chose to stay outside (although the kids were welcomed inside)  and play on the grass since it was such a beautiful day and Mrs Desert Wine Guy doesn't drink (what??).  On the grounds there are plenty of nicely manicured grass areas to choose from for the family to play in. Out back is an area set aside for club members to relax while sipping on some Wilson creek wine. The inside has a large display of wine barrels on display almost to the ceiling as well as a very long and spread out counter to do some tasting at, there is a $15 fee for the tasting. There is a gift shop, picnic areas as well as areas for weddings and 70 acres of vineyards as well. There is also a Bed & Breakfast as well as numerous Suites including the 1600 square foot Grand Almond Champagne Suite. Trust me folks there is something for everyone, the place is
wonderful. Well how does the review wine stand up to the beautiful grounds.

    O.K here we go now onto the review. While I love the winery itself I will start off with my opinion of the wine. While I did enjoy it I was not really impressed with this Cabernet Sauvignon. Don't get me wrong it was a pleasant wine but it did not in any way hold up to the standards of it's varietal. Let's start from the beginning and you will see what I mean. The bouquet here was of Cassis, Cherry and Caramel, sounds great right? Sounds like this is going to be a good, deep Cab right?  In the glass the color of the wine was a very light Red in appearance and really noting to catch your attention nor lead you to expect anything special to this wine. The wine on your Palette opens with a slightly over the top and dominating Cherry / Black Cherry notes. There is some decent Cassis, Plum and Black Cherry notes here as well. Despite all the notes that I have listed however the wine comes across as a wine that is past it's prime and has lost it's zeal or power. It comes across as a wine that has faded and lost everything it once had. The body on this wine is light to medium. There was also a slight sweetness to this wine that was noticeable to me and that I did not care for too much. All the notes combined made for a really bright, fruit forward wine that distracted me from the other notes. Now, on the upside and there is one upside I think. While this wine is not even in the ballpark of being a serious or even semi-serious Cabernet Sauvignon it would make a nice picnic Red. Overall this is a very light, fun Cab (?) that is great for Barbecues, picnics or even the first pool party of the year. Basically this is what Cabernet drinkers drink when they are not drinking Cabernet. With Summer on the way quickly this would make a perfect wine that you might think of getting perhaps a bottle of if you have some extra money . To say that I didn't enjoy this wine would not be accurate because I did enjoy it it's just that with the label on the bottle and the price of $29.99 I was expecting a lot more that a Summer Red. I would drink this wine quickly because I don't believe it has any more that three years life left to it.
   Alright everyone so what do we have here? Without a doubt we have a wine that is great for the Summer and you will enjoy. On the other hand you have a wine that simply can't be taken seriously as anything other that some Red blend that is of a very nondescript varietal(s). You also have the price that to me is in need of serious reconsideration.  I am going to put this wine at an 86 on The Desert Wine Guy Rating Scale.
                                                                                                                   The Desert Wine Guy

www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...