Monday, August 24, 2015

The Desert WIne Guy - 2012 Courtney Benham Merlot

   Today it is my pleasure to review the 2012 Courtney Benham (https://www.martinraywinery.com/) Merlot. A very simple, definitely not "in your face" but never the less awesome Merlot that I know you will enjoy. Lets look a little further into this wine now.
   Courtney Benham is part of Martin Rey Winery and appears to be one of their lesser priced labels judging by descriptions on their website such "leaving room for both attention and experimentation" or  "these adventuresome blends" but you would not know that nor care for that matter when you tasted their 2012 Merlot. When I first went to learn something about the winery I couldn't find anything about it. I know it exists I have the bottle in my hand I thought to myself. There was a very simple Website for it which, by the way I understand from Mrs. Zolli is going to upgraded in the near future. I finally was able to find an e-mail for the already  mentioned  Tiffany Zolli who is the Director of Sales & Marketing at Martin Ray Winery and inquired what she could tell me about the wine. A couple of days later I got a warm e-mail reply back from her telling me everything I wanted to know about the wine.  From what I am understanding the two head winemakers, Bill Batchelor and Lindsey Haughton created the label of Courtney Benham as a sort of "let's see what we can do" project. I could be wrong but that is the way it appears to me. The 2012 Merlot is made up of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. and is aged in American Oak for 12 months. The grapes for the 2012 Merlot came from various Vineyards all of which are located in the Napa Valley. So who is Courtney Benham? Mr. Benham is actually the owner of Martin Ray Winery and it is very nice to meet Mr. Benham in the form of his product as you will soon see.
Martin Ray Winery

   On the pour and in the glass the wine is a medium Burgundy in color, simple in appearance. It is very appealing to the eye and seems to sparkle in my Crystal glass which I have reserved for wine tasting only. The wine hits your pallet very smoothly and with dark notes such as modest but definitely not overdone American Oak and deep dark Cherry. There are ever so slight Tannins and a deep plum that all combine to work very nicely. The wine opens up after about an hour to add a little sugar but again, like everything else in this wine there is nothing overdone or one flavor that steps or overpowers another. There is also no taste of Pepper or anything that takes away from the fact that this appears to be a very simple but very thoroughly enjoyable and a delightful, very nice wine. That is it, sounds simple doesn't it? That's because it is.

Garlic-Crusted Roast Rack of Lamb

   I can see a nice Lamb with red potatoes and Carrots or you choice of vegetables being served with this wine. Since the wine does not have any pepper the addition of some Black Pepper on that Lamb would set this wine off perfectly. I have included a nice Lamb Dinner recipe that I had with this wine and let me tell you it was to die for.
   Here is the simple finish to this article. When a reviewer or writer says something appears "simple" you might think that means that the product being reviewed is not worthy of attention and while that might be the case in most instances that is not in this one. My recommendation is for you to go out right now and spend the $18 a bottle and buy two bottles of the 2012 Courtney Benham Merlot. Drink one bottle tonight and put the other away for a nice rainy evening when the kids are at a relatives house and you and the wife  are home alone. You will not regret it.



  1. 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled
  2. 1/4 cup rosemary leaves
  3. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  4. 2 racks of lamb, frenched (2 pounds each)
  5. Salt and freshly ground pepper
  1. In a mini food processor, combine the garlic, rosemary and olive oil and process until the garlic is finely chopped. Season the lamb racks with salt and pepper and rub the garlic-rosemary oil all over them. Set the racks fat side up on a large rimmed baking sheet and let stand for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 450°. Roast the lamb in the upper third of the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the racks and roast for 10 minutes longer for medium-rare meat. Transfer the racks to a carving board, stand them upright and let rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Carve the racks in between the rib bones and transfer to plates. Serve right away.
Serve With Mushroom risotto. 









                                                                                                               The Desert Wine Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Matt Parish, Cabernet Sauvignon - Coombsville

      It's not every day that I spend more then say... $20 for a wine but lately it seems that I have been doing so a bit more often the...