Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Desert Wine Guy - IG WInery - 2016 Rogue Valley, AVA - Riesling


   Well guys, a couple of weeks ago I did a review of the new IG Winery which is located in Cedar City, Utah and I mentioned a little bit about their 2016 Rouge Valley, AVA, Riesling that my friend recommended I purchase a bottle of. Today we will see if my friend was correct in his judgment / suggestion. Before we begin , I have a confession to make. I am a lover of simple and inexpensive Rieslings such as Chateau Ste Michelle (https://www.ste-michelle.com/) and that is a burden that I guess I and many other lovers of inexpensive Rieslings will have to bear....happily. Inexpensive Rieslings such as Chateau Ste Michelle fit into a very popular segment of semi-sweet to sweet White wines in general. To me a Riesling should be bright and fruity and yes, semi sweet yet not a "sugar bomb", after all it is not a Wine Cooler. Carbonation is not something I want in a wine either unless I am drinking a Champagne. A Riesling should also not be expensive in my opinion, it is a Summer / pool / Barbecue type wine that should not be offensive either in sweetness or price, to anyone. The Chateau Ste http://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/chateau-ste-michelle-2015-riesling-columbia-valley-wa) costs $7 at my local Supermarket and earned a score of 88 points from Wine Enthusiast magazine for their 2015 vintage. Getting back to our review wine, does this review wine meet all or most of that criteria? Read on and you will see. One last item before we move on. For the sake of time, I wont get into too much about the IG Winery other than to say that the owner and winemaker is Doug McCombs who just so happens to live in Las Vegas as well. If you read my last review (https://desertwineguy.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-desert-wine-guy-look-at-new-ig.html) which I just wrote on the Winery you will learn a little bit about the winery.
   So, now the wine. Let's start off with the simplest item and that is the closure. The 2016 IG Riesling starts off visually at least, looking good. I thought the label is very clean and professional and the bottle is actually sealed with a Cork and I like that. Summer wine or not it is still real wine and deserves that amount of dignity in my book. Unfortunately for this wine, that is where the good news stops. The wines appearance in the glass was very nearly clear with perhaps the ever so slightest hue of Gold, in other words the visual appearance of the wine is not really impressive at all. The next flaw in the wine was the fact that there was no Bouquet to it. To me as I put my nose to the glass I just simply did not pick up any Bouquet. This was not an isolated instance as I went back to the glass a few times with the same results. O.K. lets talk about the Palette which I guess is the most important thing although all aspects of the wine are responsible for the final impression on your mind as well as Palette and combined helps make the final product in your glass. Upon initial tasting there was a note of Alcohol that I did not really care for. At an Alcohol percentage of 13%, which is not
an unusually high percentage for this varietal, I found this was strange indeed. This Alcohol note also didn't seem to fade right away but if it had it would have been considered a very minor flaw in my book and probably while not overlooked, wouldn't have been of too much note. Moving on with my review of the wine on my Palette, there is Green Apple and Grapefruit that are certainly present and in appropriate amounts, there is however a hint of spice on the finish that I found out of place and rather offensive on the Palette as well as being out of place in the varietal I thought. The spice note caused the wine to display a rather sharp "edge" of sorts in my mouth. Right off I also just find something "flat" or "watery" in general to the wine. I'm not quite sure what it is but there is a little something (once again a flatness) that semi to have dulled the finish.  There is a semi detectable note of Apricot as well that I picked up but it does nothing to support or rescue the wine. As for sweetness or a sugary note on the Palette I have to say that there was some expected sweetness that I picked up rather oddly as almost a tartness on the side of my Tongue. Speaking of the Tongue there is also a feeling that seems as if there was something left on the Tongue after swallowing, almost like that feeling of Tannins left by a Red wine.
   Well guys, that is about all I have to say here about this wine. While the wine is drinkable it is not something that I would recommend to you. At $25 I believe that this Riesling is way over priced for what it is and way over priced for a good Riesling. I think I will Stick with Chateau ste-michelle for a great Riesling and I think you will be happy. As a side note you can buy three (3) bottles of that wine for every one (1) bottle of the IG Riesling and save $3 while you are at it.
   On The Desert Wine Guy rating scale I give this wine 75 points - " Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws".

                                                                                                                  The Desert Wine Guy
www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...