Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Desert Wine Guy - 2015 Mercer - Horse Heaven Hills, Malbec

   
2015 Mercer "Horse Heaven Hills",  Malbec

   Hello guys and welcome back to The Desert Wine Guys wine blog. A wine blog where you will read only the truth on wine reviews, the wine industry in general as well as perhaps a restaurant review every now and then. What makes me different you ask? The first thing that makes me different is that I am not paid in any way for my reviews whether it be on individual wines, the wine industry itself or even that occasional restaurant review. Yes, as in the case here I will at times receive a free bottle of wine to review or perhaps a comped (free)Dinner for my Wife and I but I do immediately disclose that fact when it does occur (as any reviewer should) and I can promise you that free or not, my opinions of whatever product or service that I am reviewing are really that, my true opinions. There is a reason I am starting off this review and reminding you guys of these things and that reason will very quickly become clear. Okay, now that this has been re-established let me move to my newest wine review, I hope you enjoy it.
Punch Down

   To begin with, I would like to start off this review by thanking Mrs. Brenda Mercer of Mercer Wine Estates (http://www.mercerwine.com/) which is located in Prosser, Washington for sending me this bottle of their 2015 Mercer Horse Heaven Hills, Malbec for review. Let me continue now by talking a little bit about the 18 acre parcel of land known as Spice Cabinet Vineyard which is the Vineyard where the grapes for this this wine are grown.   Spice Cabinet Vineyard is located in the Horse Heaven Hill in Prosser, Washington which is in the Yakima Valley part of Washington State and sits right along side the Columbia River. The elevation of the Vineyards sits at 450 - 500 feet above sea level and has around 32% of the vineyard dedicated to the varietal known as Malbec. The Vineyard itself also grows 8 other varietals of wine. The Vineyard receives around 6 - 9 inches of rain a year, mostly in the Winter months. In 2016 the Vineyard was rated as the Washington Winery of the Year by Wine Press Northwest magazine. Let's now move on and discuss the grape varietal for this wine which is known as Malbec.
Malbec Grapes Growing
   

   Malbec is a thin skinned, Black grape varietal that in the past ten years has come on strong in the American wine market. It is actually one of the most popular red wines on the American wine market today. The wine owes it's popularity to the average wine drinker in this country as it originally was unfortunately neither praised by nor was it promoted or talked about by the so called "professional" wine reviewer in the past. In America, there are currently around 3,500 Acres of the varietal planted mostly in the states of California, Washington & Oregon. Here also is another wine that the country of France can take credit for as Malbec is one of only six primary grapes allowed to be used for blending in the country's famous red Bordeaux blend.  While the varietal itself is fairly easy to grow, it's roots are extremely susceptibility to disease and other issues such as rot, Frost and Downey mildew. France seemed to have some serious difficulties growing the varietal for a while and after having those many difficulties in France, the grape was then introduced to and grown in Argentina, (Mendoza) where the weather was different and when planted there, the grape sort of found a new home because it just simply took off. What are the characteristics of Malbec? Well, to begin with the varietal is known for it's high Alcohol percentage and in it's usual presentation is typically a medium to full-bodied, dry red wine. The varietal is known as well for it's high Tannins and Acidity. Among it's other characteristics, the wine is also known for it's dark, inky almost purple color profiles as well as ripe fruit flavors of plums, Black Cherry, and Blackberry, it also has a jammy character. If all this wasn't enough how about these descriptive words often used to describe the varietal. Smoke, earth, leather, wild game, tobacco and white/black pepper. The varietal is heavily influenced by Terrior and as an example if the grapes are grown in Argentina the notes for it are usually plummy and fruit-forward as compared to France where the grapes produce a wine that will tend to have have more structure, firmer tannin's, and will also be inky dark in the glass. How does this wine perform in Washington States Horse Heaven Hills? We, I guess you will have to read on now won't you?
Rob Mercer - Spice Cabinet Vineyards

   Retailing at around $22 a bottle this wine weighs in at a hefty 14.8% Alcohol. As I said in the varietal description, this Varietal does tend to have a higher than average Alcohol percentage so the 14.8% is considered to be about average for this particular varietal. The wine presented itself in my glass as a really nice dark red and certainly at least appears visually as if it is full of tremendous promise. With rather narrow legs in my glass (also known as the Gibbs-Marangoni Effect) and lots of droplets on the glass, this wine was right on par with and indicative of a higher Alcohol wine, which this of course most certainly is. This wine is a blend of sorts and is comprised of  78% Malbec and 22% Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cabernet part I think plays a big part of the success of this wine. The Winery notes said something rather interesting and I want to share that with you. The winery notes stated that there were twice daily "Punch Downs" performed while this wine was being produced. In the interest of doing my own learning I discovered through some research that this term "Punch Downs is " the process of breaking up the thick layer of skins, stems and seeds that forms at the surface of fermenting red wine and submerging it during fermentation to extract color, Tannins, flavor and aromas from the grape solids" (thank you Wine Spectator Magazine). This "Punch Down" effect is fascinatingly experienced I believe in every aspect of the wine especially the Palette. I truly experienced some rather powerful and bold notes on my Tongue. The wine was aged it in both old and new Oak for around 18 months as well. O.k let's move now into the presentation of this wine when brought to my nose.
Spice Cabinet Vineyard
   On the nose this wine truly delivered delightful and luscious notes of Menthol, Vanilla, Plum and well as some Blackberry to begin with. Each of these notes is placed on display superbly and are not shy of letting you know that they are there and very "in your face". I love a wine like that. A wine also where none of the particular notes really attempt to dominate or overshadow the other but each allowed seemed to cooperate toward one ultimate goal. Incredible they placed themselves on display as a team rather nicely for your appreciation. Let me also mention and not forget (if that were even possible) about the lovely note of Cocoa that was clearly content remaining on the very back end of the Bouquet. Although on the back end, the Cocoa note was displayed as was the other notes and that is in just the right amount. The Bouquet seemed to promote and promise the drinker a wine that was crafted with complete competence, skill and almost screamed out, here I am for you to enjoy me!

Wine Legs

   On now, onto the experience of the wine on my Palette. Let's see here, where do I begin? The first time I put this wine to my Palette I noticed a sense of smoothness but not a sense of blandness, no sir. Smooth yet fairly powerful and full bodied, that is what immediately enveloped my senses. Fruity notes of Cranberry and dark Plum jumped right out to me but like the Bouquet, none wanted to take dominance or precedence over the other and both were also content to almost scream that there were more notes that are coming along with them so don't leave just yet. Blackberry, deep, luscious and dark Blackberry jumped right out and yet seemed to be almost visually holding hands with the Cranberry and dark Plum. There was a note of almost Menthol that was mixed in with the other notes that really seemed to want to "take off" so to speak and truly did if truth be told. These notes along with a more than slight note of Black Pepper had me welcoming the finish. This is not the strength of a Black Pepper note that you would experience from a good "Reserve" Spanish Tempranillo but then again this is NOT a "Reserve" Spanish Tempranillo either. The Black pepper that this wine showcased did however have that Tempranillo sort of spice which as I already said, complemented the Cranberry and Plum notes here in this Malbec.
For those of you who like both a slightly rich but certainly deep Malbec as well as the Tempranillo varietal will understand I where the power of this wine and where I am coming from. For those of you who have never had the opportunity to experience that medium bodied Malbec Palette feel or the "reserve Tempranillo you are indeed missing out although I must admit that the Tempranillo varietal itself indeed is not for everyone. In my humble opinion, if that medium to full bodied Malbec is not what you are after perhaps I can introduce you to a nice Merlot (oooh). The dark Plum as well as the other notes mentioned really added to the darkness or seriousness of this wine, I was impressed. When tasting these particular notes I think we can thank the Winemaker for that twice daily "Punch Down" because that is where I believe these powerful notes came from. Let's talk about Black Tea Tannins for a minute.  How about more there Desert Wine Guy you say. Okay guys, how about there being perfect Black tea Tannins that come across the Palette that are just that ......perfect, yeah I said it. These particular Tannins that you might taste in a great cup of Black Tea are not Acidic but are presented to come across the Palette to elevate the flavor of the tea (in this case wine) and are sure to even enable this wine to carry on for some more years and yes, I do recommend putting a few bottles away. Before I move on I also want to tell you about how that Cocoa on the nose translates to the Palette. Where the Cocoa was on the end of the nose it now displays itself on mid-Palette. Nothing overwhelming here however it was almost as if it knew it's rightful place or part to play in this wine and was satisfied with it. By now I would hope that this wine is sounding more than just interesting to you so you should know that there is also another side to it, let's now move on and find out what that other side is and if it strengthens or weakens this so far great wine.
   I know what you are thinking dear readers. You are thinking that the other shoe is about to drop and the wine that I built up is about to fizzle out by being overshadowed by some bad or unwanted notes or faults. Folks while I don't blame you for feeling that way but you couldn't be further from the truth. On one hand this wine is displaying the body and criteria of a medium in depth Malbec but now we are about to experience another side of this wine. Here is that other side. There certainly is also fruity component or side to this wine. Now, hold on everyone, don't be worried as this fruity component is not even close to being overblown so there are no worries here folks. Even after this I sense that there is a question I know that you are dying to ask as well as the answer to that question. Hey Desert Wine Guy, is this just another fruit forward (fruit bomb) red wine? No, this is not a wine that I would consider in my opinion to be "fruit bomb". Now, do you have to enjoy some slight fruit forwardness in your wine? Yes you do, but you must like the other notes even more as the slight fruit forwardness is not a major component. The dark Plum alone here guys is out of this world and is truly a smooth as well as flavorful component to this wine, this wine would not be the same without it. Let me say a little something more about that note of Black Pepper before if I may before I go. This Pepper is also what makes this great wine what it is. Here is again another note that if removed would degrade this wine to the level of just average. I could actually say this for all the notes in this wine, if one were missing or fought against the other for dominance, or were tasted less on the Palette the wine would have probably been altered in a negative way.
Malbec - Color and Grape
   

   Well folks it's time, time to wrap this review up. On The Desert Wine Guy Rating Scale I am proud to give this wine 93 points. I absolutely loved this wine folks and I want more. I would highly recommend this wine to you guys and tell you that this wine could last another 10 years if properly Cellared and perhaps slightly longer. Great job to everyone involved. 
                                                        The Desert Wine Guy


Mercer Wine Team


www.desertwineguy.blogspot.com/

www.facebook.com/DesertWineGuy?fref=nf

https://twitter.com/DesertWineGuyLV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCUb3w1n2S_UGU2yYRkFYQ/videos                                                      
                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Desert Wine Guy - 2021 Fox Run, Dry Riesling

     I don't know about you but for the most part, I am not into sweet white wines. There, I said it and I feel so much better. Now you ...